Skip to main content

Wait...

"Tom's Diner" - Suzanne Vega

I wanted to write about this song, but it always seemed out of place. But considering that's how I've been feeling lately, I guess now it's only fitting to finally squish it in. The lyrics don't have much of a point. It's basically an on-going ramble of a woman observing people and things as she sits alone in a cafe, but by doing so she is actually attempting to distract herself from something hard to forget.

On another note, this song plays during the introduction of one of my favorite romantic films, Untamed Heart so I often think of running in the snow and getting ready in a hurry. Oh, and not to mention a diner ;). I would ,however, never wash my armpits over the bathroom sink and call that "clean!" Marisa Tomei is an emotional wreck, falling for the wrong kind of men and not realizing it until they leave her. Yet, she keeps on trying hoping that one day someone would find her.

Enter Christian Slater. I absolutely love him in this movie. Not because of his cheesy lines, but because of how he delivers them. I love the real Christmas tree and wishing on Mars. I love the fact that he eats ice cream when it's freezing outside and follows her home to make sure she's safe. And of course, when he grabs at his chest as if trying to protect his heart and utters, "Why does it hurt so much in here when you're not with me?" Men like this don't exist, but I'd sure like to feel this just the same.


I think of this film whenever the holiday season approaches. I'm just waiting for it to feel more like it before playing it again. Fortunately, in just a couple more days I will be consumed in cold weather and away from all this heat. I can't wait. I'm thinking about taking this movie with me. I can't wait for the feeling of holding a freshly brewed cup of coffee in a ceramic mug, all snugged up in a fleece blanket, popping this DVD in and waiting for winter to find me. At least I know this is a real possibility worth looking forward to. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about being far from here and in an environment that I'm just not at all used to. It's going to be pretty damn refreshing.

Lyrics:

I am sitting
In the morning
At the diner
On the corner

I am waiting
At the counter
For the man
To pour the coffee

And he fills it
Only halfway
And before
I even argue

He is looking
Out the window
At somebody
Coming in

"It is always
Nice to see you"
Says the man
Behind the counter

To the woman
Who has come in
She is shaking
Her umbrella

And I look
The other way
As they are kissing
Their hellos

I'm pretending
Not to see them
Instead
I pour the milk

I open
Up the paper
There's a story
Of an actor

Who had died
While he was drinking
It was no one
I had heard of

And I'm turning
To the horoscope
And looking
For the funnies

When I'm feeling
Someone watching me
And so
I raise my head

There's a woman
On the outside
Looking inside
Does she see me?

No she does not
Really see me
Cause she sees
Her own reflection

And I'm trying
Not to notice
That she's hitching
Up her skirt

And while she's
Straightening her stockings
Her hair
Has gotten wet

Oh, this rain
It will continue
Through the morning
As I'm listening

To the bells
Of the cathedral
I am thinking
Of your voice...

And of the midnight picnic
Once upon a time
Before the rain began...

I finish up my coffee
It's time to catch the train


http://www.lyricsdomain.com/19/suzanne_vega/toms_diner.html
http://www.last.fm/music/Suzanne+Vega/+images/26371879
http://www.myspace.com/cowgaliris20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.