Skip to main content

The Other Side

"Don't You Forget About Me" - Simple Minds

I was supposed to go out last night, but there was a mix-up and a sudden change of plans so I went back home. I wouldn't have minded it so much if the remodeling was over and the dust finally settled down a bit. I just hate entering a messy house to find strangers in my hallway. Fortunately, I drove up only to find an empty driveway except for a few supplies stacked up neatly in the corner. I unloaded my day onto my bed and was looking forward to a moment of peace.

I turned on the TV and skimmed through the channels. Karate Kid starring Jayden Smith and Jackie Chan was on at just the part I missed the first time I watched it and I must say, it was surprisingly entertaining. The fight scenes make the original a bit laughable, but the original is still where my heart will always be. I switched over to the next channel and to my pleasant surprise, Easy A was just starting. I know this is a cheesy comedy, but something intrigued me about this plot and sure enough it kept my interest. I guess there's something about a character pretending to be something she's not that I find easy to relate to.

My favorite scene was a montage of
80's clips while Olive (Emma Stone) says, "Whatever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80's movies? I want John Cusack holding a boom box outside my window. I wanna ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from Sixteen Candles waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me. Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life." I absolutely love this connection because I wish for it too. It's corny, I know. It's so chick-flickish, I'm aware. But damn, did she hit the nail on the head. I don't care who you are, but if you have a heart and a little bit of hope these infamous rom-coms will get you and it will get you good.

I felt great after watching this and not necessarily because of the storyline or the characters. It was just something that I truly enjoyed and I don't get that a lot with a lot of things. And sadly, people often mistaken me for someone who hates more than she loves. They say I'm too picky for not liking and accepting things for what they are, yada yada yada. Well, here are 2 movies so far and they're just fine to me.

While the credits were going up I took a quick pee break and brushed my teeth to get ready for bed. It was 10-ish and since I vowed not to blog, I thought I would be turning in early. I've been regaining much more of my sleep within these last couple of weeks.
I definitely spoke too soon because when I came back another movie I've been wanting to see popped up: Eat, Pray, Love. And just like that I'm an insomniac again. I had to sacrifice my normalcy and make an exception to enjoy round 3 of my fun-filled movie night. I didn't want such a good thing to come to an end just yet. And now this movie has been added to my small list of movies that captivate me with their dialogue: As Good As It Gets and Good Will Hunting. I'm all about great quotes and here are a few that stuck out to me:

"Balance is not letting anyone love you less than you love yourself."

Liz: "I’m sick of people telling me that I need a man."
Felipe: "You don’t need a man, Liz. You need a champion."

"To lose balance sometimes for love is part of living a balanced life."

"Maybe my life hasn't been so chaotic. It's just the world that is and the only real trap is getting attached to any of it. Ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation."

Critics weren't so kind since this movie was based on a very popular memoir by Elizabeth Gilbert, but since I haven't read the book I figured I wouldn't have anything to compare it to so I could enjoy it for what it was. So I did; A lot. I wish I watched it sooner. It would've helped me, but I guess it's better late than never...so with that I say, "Attraversiamo." Hopefully, one day I'll get to the other side.


Lyrics:

Hey, hey, hey ,hey
Ohhhh...

Won't you come see about me?
I'll be alone, dancing you know it baby

Tell me your troubles and doubts
Giving me everything inside and out and
Love's strange so real in the dark
Think of the tender things that we were working on

Slow change may pull us apart
When the light gets into your heart, baby

Don't You Forget About Me
Don't Don't Don't Don't
Don't You Forget About Me

Will you stand above me?
Look my way, never love me
Rain keeps falling, rain keeps falling
Down, down, down

Will you recognize me?
Call my name or walk on by
Rain keeps falling, rain keeps falling
Down, down, down, down

Hey, hey, hey, hey
Ohhhh.....

Don't you try to pretend
It's my feeling we'll win in the end
I won't harm you or touch your defenses
Vanity and security

Don't you forget about me
I'll be alone, dancing you know it baby
Going to take you apart
I'll put us back together at heart, baby

Don't You Forget About Me
Don't Don't Don't Don't
Don't You Forget About Me

As you walk on by
Will you call my name?
As you walk on by
Will you call my name?
When you walk away

Or will you walk away?
Will you walk on by?
Come on - call my name
Will you all my name?


http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/alongcamepolly/dontyouforgetaboutme.htm
http://controljd.blogspot.com/2011/01/80-simple-minds-dont-you-forget-about.html
http://ariellefriscia.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/movie-review-eat-pray-love-finally-comes-to-life/eat-pray-love-movie/
http://cinemailoveyou.wordpress.com/2010/12/26/easy-a/
http://sharetv.org/movies/the_karate_kid_2010

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.