Skip to main content

Left Over

"This Year's Love" - David Gray

I took on a project bigger than myself. I've been putting it off for quite some time now, but last Thursday as I was twisting and turning in my office chair I knew I needed something to keep me busy. Rows of paperwork rolled out at me as I pulled open each filing cabinet. The thought of shuffling through it all made my head hurt. This used to be a job for 4, but now I'm the only one left.

So much of me wanted to push these drawers shut and wait for help, but I know now this will never come. I had to get used to doing things on my own this passed year and although a small few came to my aide to help carry the weight, sadly it's a pretty hefty load that not many are able to lift. So, I finally decided to suck it up and do it myself. I sat still for a minute and looked at the pile I was about to dive into and said, "No more waiting. No more hoping. Just take it one piece at a time and pray I don't go crazy."

A part of me wanted to dump everything out, but a big mess would be too overwhelming to bear. I can't work that way. So, I grabbed the first stack and plopped it onto my desk. The folder was labeled "2006." Wow, so much has happened since then. "Sigh...What did I just get myself into?" I asked, shaking my head at the havoc I was about to create. I knew that once I start this, I won't stop until it's done. But... looking over to the rest of the piles I slowly began to second-guess my abilities. I shook it off. "Now or never," I said and dove in.

I scanned through form after form: sign-in sheets, contact information, correspondences, checklists, evaluations, test scores, even post-its. Some were splashed with coffee stains while others still smelled of the scented oils that spilled over them a couple of winters ago. I can't believe it's lasted this long. So much time had passed. So much effort put in. So much work now being stuffed into empty archive boxes aligned neatly in front of me. It hurt to see so many names of people long gone. It drained me even more to store away their work that they invested into this program in a box somewhere that no one would ever bother to open again. This was the past and there just wasn't any room for it anymore.

A day and a half goes by. After a million staples, a few chipped nails, and several paper cuts, I sat back in my swivel chair with 6 big boxes staring back at me. I pulled out my label maker, gave each one a new name and sent them off on their way. I pulled open the empty filing cabinets to move "2010" in, with "2011" not too far behind and closed it shut. Thinking back, it amazes me how far we've come and how much we've grown. It surprised me even more how even the most mundane and tedious task as this can bring back such vast memories of how things used to be. I had a few extra boxes left over and wondered just how full they'd be in the next few years and if I'd still be the one left over to fill them.

Lyrics:

This year's love had better last
Heaven knows it's high time
I've been waiting on my own too long
When ya hold me like you do
It feels so right, oh now
I start to forget
How my heart gets torn

When that hurt gets flowin
Feeling like ya can't go on

Turning circles and time again
It cut like a knife oh now
If ya love me, got to know for sure
Cause it takes something more this time
Than sweet, sweet lies
Before I open up my arms and fall
Losing all control
Every dream inside my soul

When ya kiss me
On that midnight street
Sweep me off my feet
Singing ain't this life so sweet

This year's love had better last
This year's love had better last

Cause who's to worry
If our hearts get torn
When that hurt gets flowin
Don't ya know this life goes on
Won't ya kiss me
On that midnight street
Sweep me off my feet
Singing ain't this life so sweet

This year's love had better last
This year's love had better last
This year's love had better last
This year's love had better last


http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/girlnextdoorthe/thisyearslove.htm
http://musicvsmisery.tumblr.com/post/161116886/new-david-gray-fugitive

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.