Skip to main content

Bright Night

"Change Your Mind" - The Killers

I overslept by a lot this morning. My alarm went off a half an hour early so when I realized I had some time left I fell back asleep...without resetting it. I woke up beyond late for work, but moved even slower to get ready. I felt like a slug. I felt heavy. You know that feeling you get when you know you messed up, but just don't want to do anything about it? Ya, that feeling. I'm sure you know. So, I needed a boost like no other and figured now would be a good time for The Killers.

I listened to the nine songs I had, surprised that there were only nine, but as expected most of them came from Hot Fuss. It wasn't hard to choose the two I decided to play out the most: All These Things That I've Done and Change Your Mind . They battled with each other all day long just to see which one would make it onto this blog. I figured at one point they both will, but for now I had to pick one. I was certain it was going to be Things since I repeated it the most and because I really like the way it starts. It reminds me of the rain. A single piano note for a single drop until the storm sets in and it begins to pour. Yet I was still so indecisive...

I had to make up my time for the day so I ended up staying in the office just after sunset. It's been a while since I've been there that late so it felt a little eerie walking down the hill to my car by myself. I pulled the visors back and flipped my vanity mirror up only to notice the big, bright, monstrous moon staring back at me. It was huge! I was so distracted by it as it followed me all the way home.

According to www.earthsky.org, "The celebrity of the hour – perhaps the best-known moon of them all is the legendary Harvest Moon. The moon reached the crest of its full phase at 09:27 Universal Time this morning, on September 12. That was 4:27 a.m. this morning for the central U.S. All of us around the globe find tonight’s moon in the same approximate place as every full moon – in the east as the sun sets and twilight begins to wash the sky. It’s this big red Harvest Moon – ascending over the eastern horizon around the time of sunset – that everyone writes songs about. You’ll see why if your sky is clear and you have a lovely setting for moonrise tonight. Like any full moon, the Harvest Moon rises at sunset and shines all night long. So what’s special about the Harvest Moon? On the average, the moon rises 50 minutes later every night. But not the Harvest Moon! At mid-northern latitudes, the Harvest Moon rises 25 to 30 minutes later for several evenings in a row. And at far northern latitudes, the Harvest Moon rises five to 10 minutes later for several evenings in succession. In the days before electricity, farmers counted on the lamp of the Harvest Moon to gather their crops. Making up for the autumn season’s waning daylight, the Harvest Moon faithfully provides several nights of dusk-till-dawn moonlight. This bonanza of moonlight remains the legacy of the Harvest Moon!"

Wow...great things do happen with great moons and it was at that moment I knew "Changes" had won. So, here it is.


Lyrics:

Racy days
Help me through the hopeless haze
But my oh my
Tragic eyes
I can't even recognize myself behind
So if the answer is no
Can I change your mind

Out again, a siren screams at half past ten
And you won't let go
While I ignore, that we both felt like this
Before it starts to show
So if I had a chance
Would you let me know

Why aren't you shaking
Step back in time
Graciously taken
Oh you're too kind

And if the answer is no
Can I change your mind

We're all the same
And love is blind
The sun is gone
Before it shines

And I said if the answer is no
Can I change your mind


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/killers/changeyourmind.html
http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Killers,_The/gallery/THEKILLERSUMVD001/
http://earthsky.org/tonight/legendary-harvest-moon-shines-on

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.