Skip to main content

Alias

"Mary Jane's Last Dance" - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers


When I first heard this song, the idea of "Mary Jane" was completely beyond me. I was a bit behind the times and didn't even know this was slang for pot. Hell, I didn't even know pot was slang for Marijuana. Let alone that such a plant was considered a "drug." I was naive, but glad that I didn't let this reference control what came to mind when I learned the lyrics. So, I interpreted it to be about a tired girl who was fascinating to everyone, but herself. I called her "Mary Jane."

All throughout most of my adolescence I used this name as my alias on most of my short stories published in the school paper, the first of which was entitled, "Last Dance with Mary Jane." I wrote in the first person, envisioning how it would feel like to be admired; to walk into a room knowing that the world stopped because I was in it. It was invigorating and obviously vain, but I felt safe writing it because no one knew it was me. No one except for my editor and she kept this sacred because she knew how important it was for a writer to write freely.

I know that I often wrote when I was sad and this tale evolved around this emotion greatly. I wrote about how beautiful and inspiring Mary Jane was to people and how she loved to dance, but only by herself because she didn't want to get too close to anyone. She feared they might see her the way she saw herself and that the glamour would suddenly vanish when they discovered that she was just plain and ordinary.

I wrote about how she would jump barefoot over rain puddles and let the grass tickle her feet in-between her wet toes. I wrote about her long strands of hair and how it would often hide certain sides of her face from view. I wrote about her bright smile and dark eyes, her contagious laugh and appealingly soft, pale skin. I wrote about how she loved to wear summer dresses even on a chilly day. But then I also wrote about how she never felt "beautiful" and how her negative perception often threatened the fact that she was seen in such a positive light. And sadly, I finally ended this with Mary Jane taking her own life.

The full story has been lost for years now, but I'm sure if I did some good digging I might find it stashed away somewhere (although I'm afraid of what else I'll find). But it goes to show that although my actions are seen as logical in real life, my words mostly move to the beat of my own heart. So if you truly want to understand me, don't look at what I do in front of everyone who can see me. Read what I wish I could do when no one's looking.

Lyrics:

She grew up in an Indiana town
Had a good-lookin' mama who never was around
But she grew up tall and she grew up right
With them Indiana boys on them Indiana nights

Well, she moved down here at the age of eighteen
She blew the boys away, was more than they'd seen
I was introduced and we both started groovin'
She said, "I dig you baby, but I got to keep movin' on
Keep movin' on"

Last dance with Mary Jane, one more time to kill the pain
I feel summer creepin' in and I'm tired of this town again

Well, I don't know, but I've been told
You never slow down, you never grow old
I'm tired of screwin' up, tired of going down
Tired of myself, tired of this town

Oh, my my, oh, hell yes
Honey, put on that party dress
Buy me a drink, sing me a song
Take me as I come cuz I can't stay long

Last dance with Mary Jane, one more time to kill the pain
I feel summer creepin' in and I'm tired of this town again

There's pigeons down on Market Square
She's standin' in her underwear
Lookin' down from a hotel room
Nightfall will be comin' soon

Oh, my my, oh, hell yes.
You got to put on that party dress
It was too cold to cry when I woke up alone
I hit my last number and walked to the road

Last dance with Mary Jane, one more time to kill the pain
I feel summer creepin' in and I'm tired of this town again


http://www.allstarpics.net/pictures/0091531/tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers-pics.html
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tompettyandtheheartbreakers/maryjaneslastdance.html
http://www.photocase.com/photo/135833-stock-photo-human-being-water-grass-stone-feet-rain

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.