Skip to main content

Girl Power

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" - Cyndi Lauper

I wanted to end this weekend on a happy note and almost gave up hope until my baby sis decided to make a night of it and watch a movie. We could've easily picked any one of her many Disney cartoons to recite the whole thing line by line, but of course I'm in no mood for princesses finding their Prince Charmings. No mood at all.

We were gonna go back to the 80's with The Breakfast Club (which we've seen way too many times) or Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (but we didn't have it),
so we put on To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar.
I gotta say, it's nothin' like a great Drag Queen movie to lift me outta my slump! It reminded me to refocus on the positive and keep trudging along no matter how rocky the road and how difficult the journey. I know I sound like I'm full of shit because I'm as pessimistic as they get, but I'm working on it. And with the help of my sisters, I know I'll get through it because well...I have.

I may not have many friends, but my "clique" is definitely my flesh and blood. They've been here for me through everything and I know that some who don't know will argue that it's because we lived in the same house and pretty much had to share the same room for most of our lives. But trust me, not all siblings are close and this is what I cherish the most: to have 2 of the best sisters one could ever hope for. I always tell them how I, being the middle child, fuse them together and that I'm their balance; their soul mate. But they put me back together when things fall apart. The eldest is my backbone and strength and the youngest is my spirit and hope. They're my heart and soul. I do love my queens, and in this case my queens are my sisters.

Lyrics:

I come home in the morning light
My mother says when you gonna live your life right
Oh mother dear we're not the fortunate ones
And girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have fun

The phone rings in the middle of the night
My father yells what you gonna do with your life
Oh daddy dear you know you're still number one
But girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have

That's all they really want
Some fun
When the working day is done
Girls - they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have fun

Some boys take a beautiful girl
And hide her away from the rest of the world
I want to be the one to walk in the sun
Oh girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have

That's all they really want
Some fun
When the working day is done
Girls - they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have fun,
They want to have fun,
They want to have fun...


http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/cyndi_lauper/girls_just_want_to_have_fun.html
www.thehipstermom.com
www.adventuresofasinglegirl.com
www.misformoxie.wordpress.com
www.mintline.wordpress.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.