Skip to main content

Slow Learner

"1901" - Phoenix

Wow, you really do learn something new everyday. And it's true that some things are not always what they seem.

Here's a great example.

I've liked this song for a while now, ever since KROQ showcased it live on the Kevin & Bean show one morning. Frankly, I can't stand talk radio, but for some reason I tuned in because they were introducing an up and coming French band named Phoenix and to be honest, the name intrigued me.

For me, you can tell a lot by a band who can play live especially under the pressure of such down-right and extremely blunt radio personnel like Kevin & Bean. If I remember correctly, their music wasn't doing so well back home so they were hoping to create a fan base elsewhere. I guess they figured that if their hometown was giving them shit than what's it gonna hurt to gain some exposure (even if it could potentially give them the same response) here. So, they played this song and a funny thing happened. They actually succeeded and found the fans they were looking for all along in the good ol' U.S. of A.

Back to what I learned...Well, a few weeks ago I bought concert tickets to see Phoenix live for the first time! The show is going to start in a matter of hours and it turns out that I've been singing the wrong lyrics to this song the whole time! Here's the kicker, not only did I not know what I was singing, but because I had the wrong words I couldn't find it on my playlist either because turns out, I had the wrong title too. Jeez, I know... some fan right?

Seeing how "Fallin'" didn't ring a bell, I finally bought a clue and clicked on "1901." As I scrolled through the lyrics, it suddenly dawned on me that I wasn't the only one making this mistake. Is it "Fallin," "Fall out," "Folded," or "Fold it?" Hell, if you ask me, when you listen to it, it can be a mixture of all of these together. But, no. According to the band's printed lyrics it's "Fold it." Who knew?! Well, apparently I didn't, but it's a good thing I found out before looking like a total ditz who bought tickets to a band I knew nothing about! Whew, I'm in the clear Phoenix fans. Good looking out (as I pat myself on the back). Who said I can't admit fault? Lesson learned: Always double-check your facts. Now to find out what it means...

Lyrics:

Counting all different ideas drifting away
Past and present they don't matter
Now the future's sorted out
Watch her moving in elliptical patterns
Think it's not what you say
What you say is way too complicated
For a minute thought I couldn't tell how to fall out

It's twenty seconds till the last call
You're going hey hey hey hey hey hey
Lie down you know it's easy
Like we did it over summer long

And I'll be anything you ask and more
You're going hey hey hey hey hey hey hey
It's not a miracle we needed
No I wouldn't let you think so

Fold it, Fold it, Fold it, Fold it
Fold it, Fold it, Fold it, Fold it

Girlfriend, oh your girlfriend is drifting away
Past and present 1855 - 1901
Watch them built up a material tower
Think it's not gonna stay anyway
Think it's overrated
For a minute thought I couldn't tell how to fall out

It's twenty seconds till the last call
You're going hey hey hey hey hey hey
Lie down you know it's easy
Like we did it over summer long

And I'll be anything you ask and more
You're going hey hey hey hey hey hey hey
It's not a miracle we needed
No I wouldn't let you think so

Fold it, Fold it, Fold it, Fold it
Fold it, Fold it, Fold it, Fold it
Fold it, Fold it, Fold it, Fold it
Fold it, Fold it, Fold it, Fold it


http://www.lyricsg.com/198565/lyrics/phoenix/1901.html
http://www.streetbonersandtvcarnage.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.