Skip to main content

Worth

"I Hope You Dance" - Leann Womack

I was standing at a crossroads in my life. I could either continue on the same path that will eventually lead to failure or attempt to finish something that would leave me unsure of my own self-worth. I initially figured things would work itself out, but knew as time ticked on that it was really up to me. For the first time, I knew I couldn't just stick it out. I was craving for change and needed distance to realize it.

So when my sis offered me a place to collect my thoughts, I packed up a few bags in my gray Sentra and headed north to a naval base out in the middle of nowhere. I was only going to be gone for a short while, but being in a pretty secluded environment was definitely a change of pace from the craziness of the city. I wasn't even sure what I'd find out there, but whatever it was I was hoping that somehow it'd give me some sense of clarity on what choice I should make. I didn't know what to expect, but I did know that I needed to walk away from what I was used to even for a brief moment.

There I was. No job, no school, no boyfriend, no priorities, and a busy sis that had to be away for most of the day. Sitting alone in a two-story house with nothing to do made a week last a lifetime. After two, it made me crazy. I just couldn't see myself being a home-body, but there really wasn't much to do. So, I went out and found a job as a gas attendant on base. It was something to do that didn't require me to drive out passed security check points. I earned a measly 6 bucks an hour and had to wake up at the crack of dawn to make sure the vending machines were stocked, squeegees cleaned, and of course to lay out fresh donuts on the serving tray.

I operated gas pumps with a push of a button and met a few navy wives along the way. I admired them for doing what they had to do to take care of their family while their spouses were overseas. I admired their courage and strength to expect the unexpected and accept that weeks often led to months and even years before the person they loved more than life itself came home. We chatted about their hopes and dreams and what they aspired to be before being on base, but they never could quite understand why of all places, I'd choose to be there too.

It was hard to explain. I knew didn't have to be there. I didn't have to get a job. I didn't have to do any of of it. They didn't have to either. They chose to. Thinking back it still amazes me how different my life would've been if I chose to stay there. But I didn't. I did, however learn one valuable thing from the these hard-working navy wives: I determine my own self-worth.

So, after about 4 months I decided to come home and move forward.

Lyrics:

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty-handed

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance


I hope you dance
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances but they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake but it's worth making

Don't let some hell-bent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder)
I hope you dance
(Where those years have gone)

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

Dance
I hope you dance
(Dance)
I hope you dance
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder)
I hope you dance
(Where those years have gone)

Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder
(Dance)
Where those years have gone
(Dance)


http://www.elyrics.net/read/l/lee-ann-womack-lyrics/i-hope-you-dance-lyrics.html
http://chicago.gopride.com/news/interview.cfm/articleid/183025

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.