Skip to main content

From Scratch

"Falling Slowly" - Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova

I'm sitting over a pile of the last 10 years of my life. Old bills, paystubs, receipts, tax returns, print-outs and paperwork that no longer serve a purpose. They've been stuffed into olive green filing folders, crammed into a tiny drawer dying to be taken out, shredded and put to rest. I let them rot away because I just didn't have the energy to rummage through them. I figured if I didn't see it, I wouldn't have to deal with it. Well, it's time to clean house.

I don't want to sweat the small stuff because it would obviously kill me and this isn't what a day off should be about. I'm going to sort through this quickly. I know which ones to immediately throw away. Anything with Beneficial, Capital One, and Coldwell Banker written on them must go. I can't stare at it anymore. I don't want to remember what that life was supposed to be and how it was taken from me so easily. Sigh, I just found a receipt from 2003. I need to learn how to let go faster than this.

This is becoming a ridiculous obsession of mine. I wait until I can't wait anymore and then overwhelm myself with too much history. From now on I will only take on the present. I will be ok with tossing a receipt for $0.99 when I paid cash and already ate what I bought. I will be ok to tell the Starbucks barista that they can save the trees since my drink of choice will soon be a distant memory by the time I leave their premises. I will attempt to balance my checkbook. I can't just splurge anymore. Funds need to come back in and stay there. Trips are at stake and good times lie ahead and I can't be broke to enjoy them!

5 hours later...

I created 3 separate piles: (1) Keep, (2) Discard and (3) Should've been discarded a long ass time ago! And then I took a break because my back hurt and I needed a fix. I went to my 2 favorite places (Target and Starbucks) and decided that I'll start my saving spree tomorrow. For now I needed a toaster (I over-toasted a Pop-tart) and some caffeine. Half-way through my blueberry muffin and upside-down Caramel Machiato, this song started to play. It struck a chord in me even though I knew it didn't come along with any significant memory.

So now I'm back home. Unsure of the piles I created. Unsure of what I consider trash. Unsure of everything. But I know myself too well. I'll combine it all, toss them out and start from scratch.

Lyrics:

I don't know you
But I want you
All the more for that
Words fall through me
And always fool me
And I can't react
And games that never amount
To more than they're meant
Will play themselves out

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You've made it now

Falling slowly, eyes that know me
And I can't go back
Moods that take me and erase me
And I'm painted black
You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now
Falling slowly sing your melody
I'll sing along


http://www.lyricstime.com/the-swell-season-falling-slowly-lyrics.html
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20166133,00.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.