Skip to main content

My World

"Part of Your World" - Jodi Benson (Ariel in Disney's The Little Mermaid)

Twenty-two years ago I was just a kid watching this awe-inspiring Disney animated film up on the big screen. I immediately fell in love with this bright-eyed, red-headed mermaid and her magnificent voice, so much so that I hummed this one significant line over and over again all the way home.

Once this was released, my wonderful dad bought it for his 3 anxiously-awaiting daughters. Back then it took months before a movie came out, on VHS no less! It was limited and pricey, but we made it worth every penny.

One hot summer, we spent every night on the living room floor with the AC on full blast, sprawled out in front of the TV just watching and re-watching The Little Mermaid until we could remember every single line by heart. We played this so much that the ribbon started to wear itself out! At one point, we had to give it a rest before the whole tape withered away completely!

I love this memory with my sisters because it will always be something we can go back to every time we play this movie. Any movie we love for that matter! I've written this before and will write it again. We know our movies like we know each other. Pretty damn good! And it's a spectacular feeling knowing that there are two very special people in my life that will be able to quote from any part of this at any given moment just because we can and just to remind ourselves that no one else can do what we do for each other. They are my world.

Lyrics:

Look at this stuff
Isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl
The girl who has everything?
Look at this trove
Treasures untold
How many wonders can one cavern hold?
Looking around here you think
Sure, she's got everything
I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty
I've got whozits and whatzits galore
You want thingamabobs?
I've got twenty!
But who cares?
No big deal
I want more

I wanna be where the people are
I wanna see, wanna see them dancin'
Walking around on those - what do you call 'em?
Oh - feet!

Flippin' your fins, you don't get too far
Legs are required for jumping, dancing
Strolling along down a - what's that word again?
Street

Up where they walk, up where they run
Up where they stay all day in the sun
Wanderin' free - wish I could be
Part of that world

What would I give if I could live out of these waters?
What would I pay to spend a day warm on the sand?
Bet'cha on land they understand
That they don't reprimand their daughters
Bright young women sick of swimmin'
Ready to stand

And ready to know what the people know
Ask 'em my questions and get some answers
What's a fire and why does it - what's the word?
Burn?

When's it my turn?
Wouldn't I love, love to explore that shore up above?
Out of the sea
Wish I could be
Part of that world



http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/thelittlemermaid/partofyourworld.htm
http://www.voiceovertimes.com/2008/02/04/voice-of-disneys-the-little-mermaid-glistens-on-broadway/
http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/cartoons/the_little_mermaid.htm
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/disney-princess/forum/post/60214/title/best-scene-moment-disney-princess-movie-countdown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.