Skip to main content

Gray

"One of Us" - Joan Osborne

I've been thinking about religion a lot lately. Not that I, all of a sudden, want to be born again or that I could even commit to going to church every Sunday. I never considered myself to be religious by any means. I know I don't have what it takes to finish this process because I would question most of it before I believe in all of it. Hence, why I'm in my 30's and still can't eat the circular bread (aka "the hosts," and yes I had to Google it). I haven't earned the right to do so and I've accepted that, but does that make me less than?

Coming from a family that truly feels this is something I should've done, it's kinda awkward that I somehow fell out of the loop and into what's known as "polytheism" (believing in more than one God or being). Just because I have respect for it, doesn't necessarily mean I wholeheartedly get it. I barely understand Catholicism and I've been surrounded by this for most of my life!

Here's the thing. I don't have a true explanation for this. I know I'm not an atheist because it's hard to imagine that there isn't something more superior than a human being out there somewhere, although there's more solid proof to back up the fact that we evolved with time vs. being created by a rib. Then again, I'm not even sure how the story goes.

Now don't mistaken me for someone who's willing to buy into EVERYTHING. I'm not that gullible, but I don't think it's impossible to have more than one faith either. It's not so black and white as most often want to think. If it was, then people wouldn't be so passionate about arguing their points of view. The world would follow the ONE and we'd all just get it from the get go. But we don't.

I think religion encompasses too much to control. It involves stories, hearsay, the written word, miracles, emotions, history, language, art, culture, sex, beliefs, superstition, upbringing, life, changes, people, love, creation, destruction, peace, birth, death, giving and taking. It goes from dark to light and dark again just as quickly. It moves in stages, but jumps back and forth. It's common sense that doesn't make any sense. It's a melting pot of ideas and every now and then I serve myself a few spoonfuls to see what it tastes like.

So I guess the best way to describe where I stand is that I appreciate the few similarities as well as the vast differences of each and every religion. I may not follow a single one perfectly. I may never try. I'm not confused, just too curious. What can I say? I definitely like living in the gray.

Lyrics:

If God had a name, what would it be
And would you call it to his face
If you were faced with him in all his glory
What would you ask if you had just one question

And yeah yeah God is great yeah yeah God is good
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make his way home

If God had a face what would it look like
And would you want to see
If seeing meant that you would have to believe
In things like heaven and in Jesus and the saints and all the prophets

And yeah yeah god is great yeah yeah god is good
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make his way home
He's trying to make his way home
Back up to heaven all alone
Nobody calling on the phone
Except for the pope maybe in Rome

And yeah yeah God is great yeah yeah God is good
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if god was one of us
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make his way home
Just trying to make his way home
Like a holy rolling stone
Back up to heaven all alone
Just trying to make his way home
Nobody calling on the phone
Except for the pope maybe in Rome


http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/ifgodwasoneofuslyrics.html
http://www.last.fm/music/Joan+Osborne/+images/280737

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.