Skip to main content

A Shared Laugh

"If I Die Young" - The Band Perry

Someone asked me this morning, "How are you healing?" I didn't even know I was sick. With that thought in mind, I decided to put my uneasiness aside to say hello to a friend. I walked through the sliding door into the cold hallway, grateful that I brought my hoodie with me. I checked in, got my picture taken (this was new to me), and made my way to the elevator. There wasn't much hustle and bustle in the hospital since it was later in the evening and most of the visitors left. I walked up to the nurse's station and she pointed me to the room. The door was shut.

I didn't want to knock so the nurse did it for me, opening the door. My friend was turned to her side with 3 people kneeling around her in prayer. My heart stopped. They hurried over to me. I didn't know what to say or do. I didn't want to believe what I thought I was seeing. A lady smiled at me, placed her finger to her lips and said, "She's asleep. We're in the middle of a prayer so please give us a moment." I let out a heavy sigh of relief, letting the door close slowly in front of me.

I pressed my back to the wall and looked over to the waiting room. A few people walked towards me followed by a young lady who looked a lot like my friend. It was her daughter. She was so kind to fill me in with the details. Her mom is a fighter, trying to prove the doctors wrong day by day and still finding the energy to tell a dirty joke or two. I wasn't surprised at all. She went on about how many people came and went. People her mom knew, didn't know too well and even people she couldn't stand to be around.

"Why are they here?" my friend asked her daughter. "What's the point now? What's the point of being fake?" she continued.

Her daughter looked up at me, shaking her head and said, "My mom'll never quit. I told her to be nice, but that can only go so far."

I laughed and then felt a little awkward for laughing. And then she laughed. It was nice to hear her laugh in return. We shared stories about her mom. How I met her, how crazy and outspoken she is and how quiet things have been without her. She said she doesn't remember if her mom ever spoke of me before, but that she often complained about the people she didn't like so I wouldn't feel too bad. I laughed again. After some time passed, the door opened. The 3 people walked out as she walked in. I didn't want to intrude, but I can hear my friend ask for me.

"Myr-Myr," my friend whispered as I entered her room. (I silently laughed to myself, thinking how fast such a silly nickname got around).

"Hey...hola chica," I said back, making my way to her bed.

I gave her a kiss on the forehead and knew this visit would only last a second.

"I'm tired," she said. "I'm sorry."

"No, sweetie. Don't be...I just wanted to see you," I responded as I made my way back to where I came from, happy that I took a chance to be there.

Lyrics:

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a, bed of roses
Sink me in the river, at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

Uh oh, uh oh

Lord make me a rainbow, I'll shine down on my mother
She'll know I'm safe with you when she stands under my colors, oh and
Life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no
Ain't even grey, but she buries her baby

The sharp knife of a short life, well
I've had, just enough time

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a, bed of roses
Sink me in the river, at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

The sharp knife of a short life, well
I've had, just enough time

And I'll be wearing white, when I come into your kingdom
I'm as green as the ring on my little, cold finger, I've
Never known the lovin' of a man
But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand, there's a
Boy here in town who says he'll love me forever,
Who would have thought forever could be severed by
The sharp knife of a short life, well,
I've had, just enough time

So put on your best boys and I'll wear my pearls
What I never did is done

A penny for my thoughts, oh no, I'll sell them for a dollar
They're worth so much more after I'm a goner
And maybe then you'll hear the words I been singin'
Funny when you're dead how people start listenin'

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a, bed of roses
Sink me in the river, at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

Uh oh (uh, oh)
The ballad of a dove (uh, oh)
Go with peace and love
Gather up your tears, keep 'em in your pocket
Save them for a time when you're really gonna need them, oh

The sharp knife of a short life, well
I've had, just enough time

So put on your best boys and I'll wear my pearls


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bandperry/ifidieyoung.html
http://www.jtribune.com/music/2011/04/04/the-band-perry-shines-at-academy-of-country-music-awards/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.