Skip to main content

Mirrors

"Bones" - Charlotte Martin


I was intrigued. I googled Charlotte vs. Tori and several comparisons flooded the screen. Charlotte has been compared to every single "girl on the piano" iconic figure you could think of and pretty much to every solo female artist that I love: Fiona Apple, Joni Mitchell, and of course my Tori. I checked the Pandora site itself and learned a little about Charlotte as Charlotte. Interestingly enough, she had professional vocal training and studied Opera. She is also a professional pianist, but don't twist my words, I'm not hating on her at all. Actually, she's growing on me fast. Her song, "Every Time It Rains" wasn't available on Playlist, but it was the very first song that caught my ear. When I heard it I didn't confuse her for Tori. Let's not be silly, I know ALL Tori. However, although you can't deny the sound is pretty similar, it's still quite pretty. This is the kind of music that draws me near, pulls me closer and holds on tight.

"Alright, Charlotte show me what you got. I'm a Tori fan and I know you're not Tori. You're Charlotte and it's nice to meet you. I've met 'Redeemed' and 'Habit' as well. They're very interesting characters indeed. I almost felt like we've met before, but no. They have a uniqueness all their own. You're voice is gorgeous by the way. I absolutely adore it when female artists aren't afraid to play with their talents. You have the two I crave the most (singing and playing the piano), hence my extreme fascination with the awe-inspiring Tori. But I get where you're coming from. I see the likeness of others in you, but I can tell you're slowly trying to find your own niche. It's there, I hear it. It's a bit higher in tone and sharper at certain points and that's where I could tell the difference. Just so you know, I was having a tough time selecting a song to write about. Each one has a bit of stuff that makes me feel fine. But...it had to be "Bones." I cried as I listened to it and the words are exactly where I am right now in life. So, thank you, Charlotte. I appreciate it."

Lyrics:

Days are going faster than I ever could keep up
Overwhelming, the bed I've tried to make so perfectly
I surrender my hands BEHIND my head
You read me

There's a harvest buried in the bottom of the sky
And I'm thinking what will then become of you, I'M
Analyzing your MOVEMENTS when you're here
ON REPEAT.

You know well when it hits me
It could raise these bones again
And I wish that the rumbling
It would shake me 'til I'm still

If you're walking and nothing's turning out the way I planned
Armageddon is flooding through the living room and
I, triumphant, stand off dead INTENT.
We didn't

Call it off now, dramatic as I'm ever going to be
Second chances are slipping off the cliffs of this defeat
And I'm packing my BAG again without
My car keys

You know well when it hits me
It could raise these bones again
And I wish that the rumbling
It would shake me 'til I'm still

Say it like you mean
Mean it like you said it to me
Now it's out of THESE hands
You can't tear us apart
Because there's nothing to mend
You know well
You know well
You know well

When it hits me
It could raise these bones again
And I wish that the rumbling
It would shake me 'til I'm still


http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Bones-lyrics-Charlotte-Martin/F7153F8506F98416482570E0000F7A51
http://diskodollies.blogspot.com/2007/08/charlotte-martin-covers-album.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.