Skip to main content

Berry Special Find

"When I Grow Up" - Strawberry Shortcake

This one made me remember one of my most fondest childhood cartoons of them all: Strawberry Shortcake Meets the Berrykins. This original version was filled with adorably freckled characters, dressed in cute little outfits and named after a special fruit or berry like Banana Twirl, Plum Puddin', and Orange Blossom. The stories evolved around the main character, Strawberry Shortcake and her love for delicious strawberries and strawberry treats. In this particular episode, Strawberry Shortcake was in search for a "new look" and felt it was time to grow up, but when the Berrykins (who keep the fruit smelling and tasting beautifully) were kidnapped by the Purple Pie Man, she had to put her own wishes aside to rescue them and restore the order back in Strawberry Land. In the end, it was because of her unselfishness, that the Berry Princess granted Strawberry Shortcake with beautiful long, luscious hair - My absolute favorite part of the whole thing.

We used to rent this among other VHS tapes from a small, mom and pop Filipino store two blocks away. Every weekend my dad would take us to pick out one cartoon or kid movie and since they only had a limited variety in this genre, we ended up watching all of them in less than a year. We created a list of our favorite films and rented them over and over again because it was their only copy and we had no other way of keeping it for ourselves. After years of good business, the video store began to suffer when other chains with bigger, brighter and better prices popped up around them. Our family did what we could to keep this one store alive. We knew it safely guarded such beautiful treasures away from the rest of the competition and that definitely won us over. It was our hope that we could always come here to borrow them for a few days and enjoy every minute that they spent with us. Sadly, this wasn't the case. Soon VHS tapes became non-existent and the wave of DVDs flooded the scene. The store tried to keep up with popular demand, but unfortunately most of what it carried was old and falling apart. Shortly thereafter, the Internet took over introducing an easier way to everything and anything. Now the hype of renting suddenly subsided and the poor little store was forced to shut down. Without enough to keep it afloat, it drowned taking with it all the original recordings that I grew to love so much.

Over time, we managed to collect a few of these classics and then eventually updated our collection to DVDs. One cartoon was even given to me as a present by the store owner's son; a token of their appreciation for us to remember them by. I'm forever grateful to own it even though I can't play it anymore. We have most of these oldies, but goodies yet this by far is still missing. It has been the hardest to find. We almost located it on Amazon.com, but it received poor ratings for its quality so we didn't want to risk having it only for it to be unplayable too. It's been years since I've seen it. Years since I listened to this song. And now because of You Tube and my curious older sis, it is just a right click away. How amazing it is to be able to see it as many times as I want, but I still wish to have it in my possession again...so I can finally call it my very own.



Lyrics:

I wanna look like who I want to be
But I’m still not sure who’s me
I want to try every style til I find out who I am

I’ve got so many changing moods
And I’d like to try a few
I wanna look like who I want to be
When I grow up
I wanna look like who I want to be
When I grow up

I wanna be able to change my style
I wanna be proper
I wanna be wild
I wanna look like who I want to be
When I grow up
I wanna look like who I want to be
When I grow up

I wanna be able to change my style
I wanna be proper
I wanna be wild
I wanna look like who I want to be
When I grow up

She wants to like who she wants to be
When she grows up

When I grow up


http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/strawberry_shortcake_meets_the_berrykins/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.