Skip to main content

Lifesavers

"Reading Rainbow, Sesame Street & Mister Roger's Neighborhood" - PBS

You're probably wondering where I've been, Dear Blog. I haven't gone far, at least not yet. I guess you could say I was on some sort of a Blog Strike, but then I realized the only person it was hurting was me. So, I came back because this is my art, my venue, and my own show. And it must go on...

I started to feel like my entries were focused on someone else vs. just myself and I needed to breathe a bit and get away from something I can't change. This has been a good way for me to release my feelings and vent out my frustrations, but it can't only be for this reason that I choose to write. I need to remember more times in my life when I felt inspired and fulfilled.

I claim to be the type of person that hates to be alone. I claim to need company no matter where I go and to feel so withdrawn when I don't have anyone to converse with. I claim to be better with another and sad when I have just me by my side. But I wasn't always this way.

One of the earliest memories I have was when I was 3-4 years old. My older sis went to Kindergarten for a few hours and both my parents and grandparents worked. So, there were a couple of hours in between when their schedules collided that I had to be home alone. I know this happened very rarely and often times, I slept right through it. But I recall some moments when I got up so early and yelled for someone to come to my room receiving no response in return. I recall burying myself in the blankets in tears for feeling abandoned.

One morning I screamed so loud that my frantic grandmother rushed in, dressed in her robe and laid down beside me. She tried to calm me down. She pointed to the mini TV set sitting on the TV tray at the end of the bed. It was an old set with a turn dial and metal antennae. She said, "Whenever you wake up and feel scared don't scream. Just turn this on and it'll make you feel better." I remember thinking it was a magic box as I snuggled next to her robe and quickly fell back asleep.

After that, on days when I woke up too early, I simply switched on the TV set and watched a few of my favorite shows until someone came home. I was able to handle it. I was able to be on my own and honestly, it was an amazing time for me. It helped me
control my emotions. It helped me face my fears. And most importantly, it made me realize that I was able to take care of me for the first time by myself.

Below are the clips of what I will always consider to be my "lifesavers." Each one played an important role. As they came on back then, I felt more and more at ease. And as I watch them over again today, I can recall this peaceful feeling I so desperately wish I could carry with me now.



Lyrics:

Butterfly in the sky
I can twice as high
Take a look
It's in a book
Reading Rainbow

I can go anywhere
Friends to know
And ways to grow
Reading Rainbow

I can be anything
Take a look
It's in a book
Reading Rainbow (Reading Rainbow)
Reading Rainbow (Reading Rainbow)




Lyrics:

Sunny Day
Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet

Can you tell me how to get,
How to get to Sesame Street

Come and play
Everything's A-OK
Friendly neighbors there
That's where we meet

Can you tell me how to get
How to get to Sesame Street

It's a magic carpet ride
Every door will open wide
To Happy people like you--
Happy people like
What a beautiful

Sunny Day
Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet

Can you tell me how to get,
How to get to Sesame street...

How to get to Sesame Street

How to get to...




Lyrics:

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
A beautiful day for a neighbor,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?

It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood,
A neighborly day for a beauty,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?

I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you,
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
Since we're together, we might as well say,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?

Won't you please,
Won't you please,
Please won't you be my neighbor?


http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/televisiontvthemelyricskidsshows/mrrogersneighborhood.htm
http://www.justsomelyrics.com/1014395/Reading-Rainbow-Lyrics
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/myso-calledlife/sesamestreettheme.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.