Skip to main content

Love Letter

"When Will I See You Again?" - Three Degrees

I have no idea why I was prone to long-distance relationships. My first attempt started up North. We met at a luau-themed family party complete with fake palm trees, tiki torches, leis and a roasted pig. My hair was cut short, up to my shoulders with extreme curls known as a "body wave." I was wearing some tragic bright pink, green and blue mess of a dress, nylons and white shoes. Funny thing is I can't remember what he wore or what his hair looked like, but I definitely remember how he caught my attention. He was part of a dance group that performed amazingly well. I ran into him a few times, but never made eye contact. Finally, my cousin walked him over to my table and introduced me. We smiled at each other, but were too shy to even speak. So, we left it at that.

About a month or two later, I got a letter in the mail. It shocked the hell out of me to receive my first official letter and low and behold, it was a love letter from him. I ripped the envelope open with excitement and out fell a folded up piece of paper. It was folded so many times that the creases in it made it hard to read. Luckily, it was kept short, sweet and to the point. Plus, the big heart around the whole thing pretty much gave it away the minute I opened it.

I read about how beautiful he thought I looked that night and how nervous he was to even walk over to me. I read about our time at the pier the next day and the fortune teller machine. I read about how he was trying to talk to me, but couldn't find the right things to say. I read about how badly he wanted to get our fortunes read, but I was always around so he didn't have the courage to do it. And finally, I read about how he hoped I'll write back and include a picture of myself so that he can carry it with him.

I wrote back instantly and placed a cute picture of me in my party dress sitting at the table that night. I mailed my letter out the next morning anxiously awaiting a response. I was on Cloud 9 and re-read his letter so many times that the blue ink started to fade, but every time I checked my mailbox no such letter arrived in return. I wrote again, but again nothing and again...and again... I lost count on exactly how many letters I wrote. All I knew was it was more than his measly one. A year goes by and then another until finally a letter came.

He wrote about all of my letters and thanked me for each one...even the mean ones. He wrote about my picture and how he loved to look at it every chance he got. He wrote about wanting to write back each time, but how something held him back in doing so: Distance. He wrote, "I'm here and you're there and it's just not going to work." And so, he left it at that.

One more year passed. I got older and stopped writing until my family received an invitation in the mail for another family party in his neck of the woods. This would be the first time I came back there since I received his first letter. I made sure my dress was color-coordinated and hair tamed. This time I knew exactly what I wanted to say and how I wanted to say it, but he avoided me the whole night. I knew then that I had to let it go.

The next day, we were having a late lunch when a few guests came over. He was one of the guests. I ran into my cousin's room in disbelief. My hair was newly-washed and still damp from the shower. The strong winds pushed up against the window pane. Clothes were piled high all around me. Shoes, papers, and left over decor was all over the floor. Everything was scattered everywhere just like all of my emotions.

"What the hell is he doing here?" I asked her as I buried myself under the rubble. I started throwing a few of her stuffed animals around, surprised that she didn't smack me for being dramatic.

"C'mon, you know we're close to him. Just talk to him already," she said.

I paced back and forth and knew I was more excited than pissed.

"I'm going to bring him in," she said.

"No, no, please don't do that," I lied.

She left the room and my heart wouldn't stop pounding. A few minutes later, there was a knock on the door.

"Yes..." I trailed.

He walked in and sat on the other twin bed across from me. We sat for what felt like the last 3-years that went by. I wanted to scream. I wanted to slap him. But all I could do was sit too.

"You don't know how badly I want to kiss you right now," he said staring at me.

"...?" I was caught completely off guard. All I had the energy to do was smile and nod.

"Oh what the hell..." he said as he moved in towards me. He stroked my loose hair strands and pressed his lips against mine. His felt so warm.

"You smell so good," he continued. I nearly melted onto the floor.

"Do you think they saw?" he asked looking through the window.

"Who cares?" I whispered as I pulled him back down for more.

"I can't believe we're doing this..." he said.

"Believe it," I assured him.

It was there in the middle of all this mess that I experienced one of the best kisses in my life. It was sweet, simple and to the point... And it was done amazingly well.


Lyrics:

When will I see you again?
When will we share precious moments?
Will I have to wait forever?
Or will I have to suffer and cry the whole night through?

When will I see you again?
When will our hearts beat together?
Are we in love or just friends?
Is this my beginning or is this the end?
When will I see you again?
(When will I see you again?)
When will I see you again?

Are we in love or just friends?
Is this my beginning or is this the end?
When will I see you again?
(When will I see you again?)
When will I see you again?
(When will I see you again?)
When will I see you again?
(When will I see you again?)
When will I see you again?


http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/that70sshowpresentsjammin/whenwilliseeyouagain.htm
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Three+Degrees/+images/25282923

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.