Skip to main content

Slighly Similar, but Drastically Different

"Return to Oz" Original Motion Picture Soundtrack -
David Shire/The London Symphony Orchestra



This will always be my true OZ. None of that munchkin, techno-colored sh*t for me. No happy-go-lucky song and dance hoopla. No scared scarecrow, cowardly lion, and hollow tin-man. No sir, even Toto stayed home for this one. Introduce a smart, cackling chicken, a "small army", a Pumpkin Head, and a Gump into a dark, magical world filled with mystery, mischief and imagination and you've got yourself one amazing, classic film entitled, Return to Oz.

Critics were cruel to Director Walter Murch for thinking way beyond the outside of the box and basing most of the plot on the original novels of OZ written in the early 1900's. However, I believe that it was largely due to the fact that they were unfortunately, misled into thinking that this was some sort of sequel to its MGM predecessor, Director Victor Fleming's The Wizard of Oz. Although the new characters are obviously linked to the original characters, they were a bit more daring and this time there was no wizard at the end of the yellow brick road. In fact, everyone was turned to stone and the OZ as we knew it was in ruins. So, the whole story evolved around Dorothy unexpectedly returning to OZ to rescue her friends and bring the Emerald City and all the people in it back to life.

Return to OZ should, in no way, have been perceived as a "family-fun film" since its opening scene on electric-shock therapy to "cure" a child's dreams can come off as quite a shocker to audiences worldwide. Eerie sounds of patients moaning in pain locked in cellars below, during a thunderous rainstorm and a sudden blackout, while the beloved Dorothy laid helplessly strapped onto a hospital bed was definitely not something you would see in a children's movie. Squeaking "Wheelers," a headless witch with 30 beautiful heads, and Nomes weren't exactly the kind of kid-friendly, Disney characters some were accustomed to seeing at the time. So, it wasn't hard to imagine just how much negative backlash this movie received in the box office.

However, the reason why Return to OZ broke out of its confined shell was because it slowly separated itself from The Wizard of OZ. Although they loosely shared similar stories, both of these films were drastically different from each other even in music. One of the most beautiful, under-rated pieces of sheet music came from this unappreciated film. I have included the score's introduction (courtesy of You Tube) and the finale (courtesy of Playlist) to honor this astounding work of art. Together with the film, Murch and composer David Shire captivated a cult following of people who admired their attention to detail. They were able to take such carefully written words almost a century old and turn them into their masterful stories of fantasy that has been able to withstand the test of time all on its own.


Track List
1. Dorothy Remembers/Home/The Ride To Doctor Worley's (04:20)
2. Ozma/The Flight in the Storm (03:56)
3. Oz/The Ruined House (04:53)
4. The Deserted City/The Wheelers/ Tik Tok (04:55)
5. Mombi's Hall Of Heads (02:47)
6. Jack Pumpkinhead (02:48)
7. The Flight Of The Gump (03:58)
8. Dorothy And The Nome King/The Ornament Room (04:27)
9. The Defeat Of The King/ The Restoration (06:09)
10. The Mirror (02:36)
11. Finale And End Credits (Theme From "Return To Oz") (04:26)
12. The "Return To Oz" Rag March (02:44)

http://forums.ffshrine.org/f92/return-oz-original-motion-picture-score-320kbps-62498/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.