Skip to main content

LoL

"Superman (It's Not Easy)" - Five for Fighting

I'm beyond exhausted in so many ways so for now here's a song that pretty much sums up how I felt about this beautifully draining 3-day weekend. This is an unfinished post, but I will be back Dear Blog...

Tuesday night. July 26, 2011. 11:01PM. One week before I disappear into another world; a new land (at least for me anyway) for 10 straight days.

I'm sitting here lost in my usual space. Alone. Listening to this song and trying to remember all the things that came to mind as it continues to play. I'm too distracted now to even begin to recollect all the different moments that made me want to make a heart and think of you. I only did it a couple of times. It seemed rather silly to continue reflecting on the past when I had so much ahead of me. So, I did it sparingly.

It was hard to ignore the nostalgia that filled the air. Even the smell of it lingered above me... Walking down the street, passing familiar places, the gallery aligned with Super Hero artwork, and through the crowd that formed in front of the Broken Yolk restaurant... It reeked of us. I have to admit it was harder than I thought it would be to shake it off, but I managed. Luckily, I had 6 great people to take my mind off things and a good hot tub that knew exactly how to restore my sanity for both nights.

This year the convention center exploded with twice as many people so I needed all the relaxation I could get to mow through them in hopes to see what we wanted to see in a limited amount of time. Although the lines were ridiculously long, we made the best of it (well, that is after I got my Starbucks fix). Fortunately, Jeff Bridges started it off by strutting on stage with his fuzzy, uncombed beard and a blue Hawaiian shirt and sexy Bradley Cooper and Ben Barnes helped quite a bit as well. But it was the Family Guy panel with Seth Green, Seth MacFarlane, and Alex Borstein (voice of Lois) that took funny to a whole new level! Just knowing the type of content this show produces made this a "must see" and they're definitely, by far funnier in person. This was worth the wait and now I will never look at sign language the same way again.

Lastly, the first ever Philippine Invasion panel was unintentionally funny. Picture 3 Filipino guys in their early 70's who can barely hear, attempting to answer articulately-spoken English questions in extremely broken "Taglish." They reminded me of my late grandparents and it was just awesome to see them interact with each other and poke fun at their own audience. Overall, I'm glad I went. I was hoping for a change of pace and I needed this experience to help me realize that yes, it is quite possible to be in the past, present and future all at the same time.

Lyrics:

I can't stand to fly
I'm not that naive
I'm just out to find
The better part of me






I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane
More than some pretty face beside a train
It's not easy to be me

Wish that I could cry
Fall upon my knees
Find a way to lie
About a home I'll never see

It may sound absurd, but don't be naive
Even Heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed, but won't you concede
Even Heroes have the right to dream
It's not easy to be me

Up, up and away, away from me
It's all right
You can all sleep sound tonight
I'm not crazy or anything

I can't stand to fly
I'm not that naive
Men weren't meant to ride
With clouds between their knees

I'm only a man in a silly red sheet
Digging for kryptonite on this one way street
Only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things inside of me

It's not easy to be me


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/fiveforfighting/supermanitsnoteasy.html
http://www.bhscutlass.com/ae/2009/11/02/five-for-fightings-newest-slice-gets-good-review/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.