Skip to main content

For Me To Land On

"Honey" - Tori Amos

This beautifully blazin', red star vixen is playing at the Los Angeles Orpheum theatre this December and yours truly just landed tickets to her Sunday show (takes a deep breath). Let me give you the back story so you know why I needed to breathe just now.

The presale started Friday morning. Yesterday. A few friends tried to get through to me to make sure I knew the passwords: "NIGHT" and "HUNTER" before everyone else did. Oh, they got through to me alright, but I got it at 8:30PM that night... 10 1/2 hours after the other, SMARTER Tori fans already knew about it and snagged all the tickets in the FRONT ROW. F-M-freakin'-L. Flustered and quite frankly, annoyed out of my mind I logged out and decided to set my alarm to make sure I was on time for the official "sale" or what's left of it. I even set it 2 hours early just to be on the safe side, but just my luck it didn't even go off! Luckily, my tummy did. Finally good for something, it started cramping up at about 8:45A and after an hour of ignoring it I finally got a clue and jumped up at 9:40A! Goooooooo Tummy!

I turned on my computer and eagerly made my way to Ticketmaster. With the site up and running, I knew I had a pretty good chance of getting a few seats. All I needed was a few. C'mon few! I was hoping for Saturday, but Sunday will definitely do. If the world spun around me, I'd have both days. I really wanted to see her back to back since I've never thought about doing this before and felt that it was about time I did. Being a fan for almost 20-years calls for a weekend with Tori, but sadly I was too late. All the close seats for Saturday were taken. I'm happy with Sunday's seats. Shoot, I'd be happy standing outside in the rain! But to buy another day's worth, I knew I needed to be RIGHT THERE in front of her to make it worth it. I'd kill for the box seats. This is when I wish I was SOMEBODY or at least knew somebody who was somebody who knew someone who could get me RIGHT THERE.

The first and last time I got this close was in 2005 at the UCLA Royce Hall. The seats nearly cost me my apartment (at least for that month - this was PS "pre-savings"), but I had to get them. I brought my baby sis with me and we made our way just a couple of rows to the stage! Then Tori came out in a dazzling, bright green, satin dress with matching earrings. But I wouldn't know... because I realized at that moment that I couldn't see very well at all. Months before her concert, I was experiencing blurred vision problems while driving, but stupid me I figured it would go away. I basically ignored the fact that I needed glasses until of course AFTER the show. This didn't do me any good during the show... So you can understand my dismay that finally now that I have some means to get that close again, there were no seats left. Damn! I don't even need a lot. Not even a few. Just 2. I would settle for a pair of tickets because I can't go anywhere by myself and Tori fans on my side are few and far between to want to go twice. Sigh, so if I do snag them not only do they have to be great seats, I'd have to really like the person who hopefully really likes me to come with me. Unless of course they buy them for me. So again, F-M-freakin'-L.

Beggars can't be choosers, I know. But it's Tori. I deserve Tori, especially this time around. Her album, Night of Hunters is absolutely astonishingly close to how I feel. It amazes me how she comes up with these ideas (sometimes it takes her a decade!) and yet she releases them at just the right moment for me to land on.

“It’s a 21st century song cycle inspired by classical music themes spanning over 400 years. I have used the structure of a song cycle to tell an ongoing, modern story. The protagonist is a woman who finds herself in the dying embers of a relationship. In the course of one night she goes through an initiation of sorts that leads her to reinvent herself allowing the listener to follow her on a journey to explore complex musical and emotional subject matter. One of the main themes explored on this album is the hunter and the hunted and how both exist within us.” - Tori Amos


As a side note, you're probably wondering why I picked this song and what relevance it has to Tori's upcoming release? Well, I'm going to tell you anyway. Let me introduce you to Honey. A sweet song that unfortunately lost her way off of the album, Under the Pink, but fortunately made her way back onto More Pink: The B-Sides (I still can't believe I don't own this album). I never knew why Honey was never on an OFFICIAL release because she's definitely a favorite of mine as well, but she came to mind with a lot of things this morning. So, I felt it only natural to have her be included here.




Lyrics:

a little dust never stopped me none
he liked my shoes i kept them on
sometimes i can hold my tongue, sometimes not
when you just skip-to-loo, my darlin'
and you know what you're doin' so don't even

you're just too used to my honey, now
you're just too used to my honey

and i think i could leave your world
if she was the better girl
so when we died i tried to bribe the undertaker
'cause i'm not sure what you're doin' or the reasons

you're just too used to my honey, now
you're just too used to my honey
hey, yeah...you're just to used to my honey, now

don't bother coming down
i made a friend of the western sky
don't bother coming down
you always like your babies tight

turn back one last time, love to watch those cowboys ride
but cowboys know cowgirls ride on the Indian side
and you know what you're doin' so don't even

you're just too used to my honey, now
you're just too used to my honey
hey, yeah...you're just too used to my honey
you're just to used to my honey, now


http://www.theprophetblog.net/tori-amos-announced-night-of-the-hunters-album
http://theaudioperv.com/2011/05/05/tori-amos-announces-new-album-night-of-the-hunter/
http://www.toriamos.com
http://www.hereinmyhead.com/collect/beesides/honey.html
http://earcandies.blogspot.com/2008/03/tori-amos-b-sides-vol-2.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.