Skip to main content

Big, Ugly Monster

"Turning Tables" - Adele


Oh, Adele. How funny that I chose to put you on repeat all day without having any idea at first as to why I wanted to hear you so much. I guess my heart knew something was coming up that would make me need you.

Sigh, Adele. Why, huh? I'm trying to be thankful here. I'm trying to be happy here. I'm trying to be better for me, Adele. It's been long enough and it's ridiculously unfair that I'm the one spilling my soul onto this like it matters.

It's just words, Adele. And I'm telling you, I'm getting mighty sick of these sad words finding their way out of me so easily. It's driving me nuts! It's just too difficult to focus all my attention on this optimism business.

Man, Adele. This is not what I had in mind. Not after my birthday. Not after Europe. Not after a year.

No, Adele. Make it stop already. Make it go away. Have more great things happen to brighten up my day. Because this ain't it, Adele. Dammit, this definitely ain't it.

I don't know what came over me this afternoon. I was easily irritable, impatient, flustered and fed up, but the odd thing was I was calm on the outside. I didn't feel this building up inside of me at all, but suddenly there it was like a big, ugly monster that jumped out of the closet and screamed, "Boo!" And yet what did I do? I didn't cry. I didn't run. I cuddled with the damn thing for nearly 3-months hoping that it would quit messing with me. I cared for it as if looks could be deceiving and thought, "Hey, maybe this time it won't hurt me. Maybe this time it won't bite." I even bought it a present and now I'm staring at this neatly wrapped gift box, shaking my head at the mere thought that I even considered getting it anything at all...let alone having it wrapped.

Stupid, pretty box. I want to rip you open and dump you. You're not heavy and you didn't even cost me a pretty penny, but you were just something I saw and wanted to give to someone I thought would appreciate you. Sadly, they don't appreciate sh*t so there you are silly, square box. Staring up at me like you have some place better to be. But that dumb dope of a monster doesn't want you. It doesn't know what it wants. But I know now it'll know what it'll never get. I don't mean you, dear box. You'll go back to your original home sweet home soon enough and that monster? Oh,don't you worry. That monster will get even more of what it deserves. I wish I could say the same for me.

Lyrics:

Close enough to start a war
All that I have is on the floor
God only knows what we're fighting for
All that I say, you always say more

I can't keep up with your turning tables
Under your thumb I can't breathe

So, I won't let you close enough to hurt me
No, I won't ask you, you to just desert me
I can't give you what you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables
To turning tables

Under haunted skies I see you
Where love is lost your ghost is found
I braved a hundred storms to leave you
As hard as you try, no, I will never be knocked down

I can't keep up with your turning tables
Under your thumb I can't breathe

So, I won't let you close enough to hurt me,
No, I won't ask you, you to just desert me
I can't give you what you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables
To turning tables

Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own savior
When the thunder calls for me
Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own savior
Standing on my own two feet

I won't let you close enough to hurt me,
No, I won't ask you, you to just desert me
I can't give you what you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables
To turning tables
Turning tables, yeah
Turning, oh


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/adele/turningtables.html
http://thefashpack.onsugar.com/date/2009/3/25
http://rephen.tumblr.com/page/2
http://www.jeffjonesillustration.com/stock-images/objects/822/present-gift-box/?page=3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.