Skip to main content

Wildflower

"Heard It All Before" - Meiko

I'm in love with Laemmle Playhouse 7. It's my safe haven with a secret trap door into another world, another time, and lost in another person's mind...somewhere else far away from this mundane routine of Here We Go Again. It's a new experience without the big crowds and Hollywood hype, the high expectations and constant disappointments. It sits quietly next to a beautiful bookstore that I find myself visiting rather frequently like a good neighbor I can't turn down for tea. And I often stay for a second cup.

It's becoming my favorite thing to do on a Saturday evening. When I don't have to answer to anyone on why I'm not with anyone because we're in the dark and I no longer feel the pressure of their judgmental stares. It's the screen's turn to get the attention while I try to sit on the least squeakiest part of a worn, fold-out chair. It's the smell and crunch of popcorn, the sip of soda through a straw, and toned down whispers as the previews start to play.

So, why am I thinking of my dear Laemmle? Well, if I get to this quaint theatre early enough I also get the privilege of listening to Indie artists. On this particular night, Meiko greeted me. She's adorable, isn't she? She brushed passed me with a few songs like "Reasons to Love," but when I didn't notice her she came back again. She scooted up to my ear and said, "Pssst, hey...over here." It was this that played. This one is the one. I wish I could pick things out in love and life just as easily.

It reminds me of the soft summer sun; the moment when it starts to set and the weather slowly simmers down. I use this analogy in my training, but first let me clarify. My job is to help people help others. However, sometimes others try to make it difficult to help them. They come in spewing problem after problem. They focus on what they did wrong. They hate themselves. They're overwhelmed beyond being overwhelmed and all of a sudden we bear a huge burden of carrying a very heavy plate with not much to support the weight. So, back to my analogy...

As people, we often take on more than we can handle. Bill Miller states in his excerpt on Motivational Interviewing, that often times people find themselves walking through a vast meadow filled with thousands of weeds (problems) and a few scattered wildflowers (solutions). There's just too many to choose from and the chances of picking a weed is far greater than a dainty wildflower. However, a part of what I do is to help those who want to help others find more of these wildflowers. I help them come up with clever ways to point it out. I help them create different options to pick them up. So in the end people aren't left with a bunch of useless weeds. They're left with a bouquet of wildflowers that they've always had, but never knew how to get until now.

I guess you could say that I'm finally gathering my own bouquet.


Lyrics:

I'm so tired of staring at the wall
But I know I got to put you down
And I keep trying to make sense of it all
But I can't keep going around and round

And you know me well
You know me better than this
And I can't be sure if you're something I'd miss

Cause I heard it all before
I've heard it all before

I keep finding a little piece of me
Every time we disagree
And your words float like dandelions every other way
I can't keep listening to what you say

Cause I heard it all before
I've heard it all before
And I take everything I can and I'll throw it out the door

Ya, I've heard it all before
I've heard it all before
And I take everything I can but I've heard it all before


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/meiko/hearditallbefore.html
http://www.worldwideradiosummit.com/showcaseartists.php?p=meiko
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/5757063/Wildflower-meadows-the-waiting-game.html
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM35ND_Laemmle_Theatre_Playhouse_7__Pasadena_CA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.