Skip to main content

Being There

"Roll Up" - Wiz Khalifa

Ok so this isn't about getting high, although it was difficult to find a pic of Wiz Khalifa not smokin' a joint. I get now what, "I'll roll up" actually means. Regardless, this song was in my head for different reasons. I said I wouldn't come up here unless I had something to write well, here's my reason.

I know the point of the song doesn't fit and it's a bit ghetto, but I like it. I've been thinking about this chorus and about having someone that would be there for me no matter what. I'm not talking about the whole "relationship vs. no relationship" thing again, but it's just so boring right now. I miss being able to call a guy and having this genuine kind of conversation. No booty calls. No reminiscing with the exes. No gay guys telling me how great they got it when I don't got sh*t. Just a great one-on-one with a man who knows how to be a man and is really interested in what I have to say so much so that he has to come running when I call just to see me.

What happened to that? I used to have them linin' up for me. I used to lose count and it felt good to be completely clueless and yet have a guy still stick around because they'd rather be around dealing with me than not be around me at all. And now, all the useless guys are gettin' some and all the amazing woman who got it together are gettin' none. Wtf?! How the hell does this make sense? I look at my family for example. I have wonderful aunts, but yet the two most powerful ones got divorced. The ones who took charge, showed strength, and did EVERYTHING for their men were the ones whose men left. I keep going back to this because I'm so afraid that this will end up being my fate.

I know I'm overreacting, but it's hard not to notice the similarities. It's hard not to see it in my beautiful sisters as well. But what are we supposed to do? We can't just stand back and attempt to let someone else lead the way. It's not in our nature. We're simply not wired to rely SOLELY on a man ESPECIALLY when that man OBVIOUSLY cannot handle it all on his own. Yet by not doing so, are we then stripping away their abilities to be in fact, a MAN? This is bullsh*t! Seriously, I'm pretty sure I already wrote about this, but it's too important to let it sit in a few scattered posts.

I'm so freakin' frustrated with this thought. I can't change this part of me and yet I want to because I don't want to take care of any more boys. I lost so much that I'll never get back. I just want a fair trade. Even with the newbie that was supposed to be refreshing, I had to make sure he had the basic necessities to take care of himself when his only job was to take care of me. And the bastard couldn't even do that right! I'm shaking my head and looking up at the night sky as I write this.

You know... one of the rarest times I felt this was the time I called you. I think we've only been dating for a month or so. I had a big fight with my sister and called you in a frenzy. I was so distraught and crying unbearably that I couldn't even muster the words to tell you what happened. You heard me sobbing frantically and tried to decipher through my tears what in the world I was saying, but you couldn't really understand me. You just knew you had to go to me. So, you did. You said you even sped through the carpool lane because the traffic wasn't cooperating. I recall you getting to me so fast and being so relieved to open the door into your arms.

I know this story has been told before and hopefully you still remember, but I also wanted you to know that this memory now comes to mind whenever I hear this chorus. And just in case I didn't tell you enough then, this was what made you a man to me.

Lyrics:

I roll up
I roll up
I roll up
Shawty I roll up
I roll up
I roll up
I roll up

It's your anniversary isn't it
And your man ain't acting right
So you packin’ your Domiar luggage up callin’ my cell phone, try and catch a flight
You know one thing straight, I’ll be there girl whenever you call me
When you at home that's your man, soon as you land you say that's all me
But sh*t ain't all g with him no more, you ain't entertained
Since I meet you a couple months ago you ain't been the same
Not sayin I’m the richest man alive but I’m in the game
As long as you keep it 100 Imma spend this change,

Whenever you need me
Whenever you want me,
You know you can call me, I’ll be there shortly
Don’t care what your friends say, cuz they don't know me
I can be your best friend, and you be my homie
I ain't gonna flex, I’m not gonna front
You know if I ball, then we all gonna stunt
Send her my way, she ain't gotta hold up
Whenever you call baby I roll up, I roll up, I roll up
Whenever you call baby I roll up, I roll up, I roll up
Whenever you call baby I roll up

I try to stay out your business
But on the real you’re so obvious
And if you keep fitting me in your plans and f@$kin up, your man's gonna catch onto us
That white sand surrounding us
He be handcuffing, he should work for them officers
If you rolling I got a spot where I can put you on this medical, and send you home doctored up
You wanna ride with me cause you say that he boring
Wake up you rollin’ weed, cooking eggs in the morning
Ain't scared to spend this money I’ll make more of it
First you was in the sky now you say you in orbit

Whenever you need me
Whenever you want me,
You know you can call me, I’ll be there shortly
Don’t care what your friends say, cuz they don't know me
I can be your best friend, and you be my homie
I ain't gonna flex, I’m not gonna front
You know if I ball, then we all gonna stunt
Send her my way, she ain't gotta hold up
Whenever you call baby I roll up, I roll up, I roll up
Whenever you call baby I roll up, I roll up, I roll up
Whenever you call baby I roll up

No matter where I am
No matter where you are
I’ll be there when it's over baby
Cause I was there from the start
No matter if I’m near
Don’t matter if your far
All you do is pick the phone up lady
And I’ll be there when you call

Whenever you need me
Whenever you want me,
You know you can call me, I’ll be there shortly
Don’t care what your friends say, cuz they don't know me
I can be your best friend, and you be my homie
I ain't gonna flex, I’m not gonna front
You know if I ball, then we all gonna stunt
Send her my way, she ain't gotta hold up
Whenever you call baby I roll up

Whenever you need me
Whenever you want me,
You know you can call me, I’ll be there shortly
Don’t care what your friends say, cuz they don't know me
I can be your best friend, and you be my homie
I ain't gonna flex, I’m not gonna front
You know if I ball, then we all gonna stunt
Send her my way, she ain't gotta hold up
Whenever you call baby I roll up, I roll up, I roll up
Whenever you call baby I roll up, I roll up, I roll up
Whenever you call baby I roll up

I roll up, I roll up
Whenever you call baby I roll up


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/wizkhalifa/rollup.html
http://www.buckmarleyxxx.com/2010/10/in-my-car.html

Comments

  1. Of course I remember. The simplest and best of times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't always simple nor was it always the best, but u were there for me and at that time that WAS all that MATTERED.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.