Skip to main content

This Christmas

"My Grown Up Christmas List" - Kelly Clarkson

I'm not so sure I even know where to begin on this Christmas day. In less than 24 hours, I felt every emotion imaginable. But before I get into mine, let me start by telling other people's stories.

A fairly new couple who have only been dating for about a year got engaged. He is a pretty successful guy, confident in his profession and stable in his home. She is a carefree spirit with a steady career. On Christmas Eve in front of his family and their friends, she sat unwrapping present after present until finally reaching a big box carefully placed in the center of the room. Distracted with all the commotion, she opens it only to discover another box after another box after yet another. She rummaged through the tissue paper, pulling out the box not even realizing he was kneeling before her. "Here let me help you with that," he said. But she was too quick and opened it. Stunned beyond belief, she immediately burst into tears.

Not too far away was another couple on the brink of a divorce. He is a strong man with a lot of growing up to do. She is an even stronger woman who needs more than he will ever be able to offer her. They're too similar where it's disastrous and too different where compatibility is necessary that finally on a night of what should've been a joyous occasion, it all came crashing down. A huge misunderstanding blew up into ridiculous proportions and the debris knocked everyone nearby completely off guard.

Two couples. Two dramatically different stories. On one hand, I watched a video proposal to start a beautiful life together and on the other, I witnessed in person a traumatizing breakup. So, where do I fit? I'm in the middle. I'm feeling everything there is to feel. And to top it all off, I feel like I have to do something when it's not my place to do anything. I feel responsible when it's not a problem I created nor should fix. So for now I'm just trying to look at the upside; that a couple who loves each other is willing to make that love official and that a couple who doesn't make each other happy will finally leave each other in search for something or someone that does.

As for me? I'm happy to have found a man that is willing and able to be the man that fits me perfectly, but yet he's not here. So I can't help, but feel a bit empty. I want to be excited, but I'm only moody. I'm letting others around me effect how I feel and it's hard not to when the reason I should feel fulfilled is miles and miles away. If only he was here, then everything would make sense again.

Lyrics:

Do you remember me
I sat upon your knee
I wrote to you
With childhood fantasies

Well, I'm all grown up now
And still need help somehow
I'm not a child
But my heart still can dream

So here's my lifelong wish
My grown up Christmas list
Not for myself
But for a world in need

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown up Christmas list

As children we believed
The grandest sight to see
Was something lovely
Wrapped beneath our tree

Well heaven only knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal
A hurting human soul

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown up Christmas list

What is this illusion called the innocence of youth
Maybe only in our blind belief can we ever find the truth
(there'd be)

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end, oh
This is my grown up Christmas list
This is my only life long wish
This is my grown up Christmas list


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/kellyclarkson/mygrownupchristmaslist.html
http://www.justinvaughn.com/?tag=christmas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.