Skip to main content

Human

"Fuckin' Perfect" - Pink

A beautiful woman walked into the office today. She was tall and slender wearing tight leggings, black high heels, and a shear top over a black tank. Her slick, long hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail, her nails painted glossy red and you could tell she took her time picking out her accessories this morning before she stepped out of the house.

Next to her was an African-American man. Short and stocky with a gentle face and slightly fuzzy hair. He wore dark denim jeans that sagged just a little, with a neatly-pressed dark blue, long-sleeved button up. They smiled and sat side by side in front of a group of about 35 curious onlookers to present one of the most taboo topics in Western civilization. However, to do so they had to go beyond the point a view of a typical man and the average woman. They spoke through their perspective of an extraordinary Trans-Woman and a courageous Trans-Man.

"I saw pink and immediately, I liked pink. I played with dolls and wore dresses and I didn't see anything wrong with that until someone from the outside pointed it out to me that it was wrong. 'Boys are rough, tough and play sports,' they said. Boys are supposed to like girls, but I didn't see myself as a boy. I saw myself as the girl I wanted them to like," she said. She looked over to him and he nodded as he spoke, "Picture walking up to a mirror. Imagine staring at a body reflecting back at you, but knowing that body just doesn't fit with how you see yourself in the inside." He looked back at her and she looked out to us. "So you just stare, knowing that no matter how you looked at it, it just didn't fit," he said.

We listened, but most of us couldn't fathom such an idea. Although we may not be truly satisfied with our own bodies for whatever reason, it's different than thinking we are in the wrong one. This was so unbelievably intriguing to me because finally I'm hearing two amazing people talk about what they had to go through in order to look back into that same mirror and actually like what they see. They broke through the mold of our initial first impression to teach us that the things we may see isn't always what we really see them to be. By telling their personal stories, they showed us that one's identity can steer clearly away from what society deems as "normal." In that brief moment they allowed us into a world that not many will attempt to enter so that we could explore a way of being that focuses on the one true identity we can all identify with: Human.

Lyrics:

Made a wrong turn once or twice
Dug my way out, blood and fire
Bad decisions, that's alright
Welcome to my silly life
Mistreated, misplaced, misunderstood
Miss 'No way, it's all good'
It didn't slow me down.
Mistaken, always second guessing
Underestimated, look I'm still around

Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Like you're less than fucking perfect
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel
Like you're nothing, you're fucking perfect to me

You're so mean when you talk
About yourself. You were wrong.
Change the voices in your head
Make them like you instead.

So complicated,
Look happy, You'll make it!
Filled with so much hatred
Such a tired game
It's enough, I've done all I could think of
Chased down all my demons
I've seen you do the same
(Ohh ohhhhhhh)

Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Like you're less than fucking perfect
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel
Like you're nothing, you're fucking perfect to me

The whole world's scared, so I swallow the fear
The only thing I should be drinking is an ice cold beer
So cool in line and we try try try but we try too hard
And it's a waste of my time.
Done looking for the critics, cause they're everywhere
They don't like my jeans, they don't get my hair
Exchange ourselves and we do it all the time
Why do we do that, why do I do that (why do I do that)?

(Yeah!)
I'm Pretty, pretty, pretty

Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Like you're less than fucking perfect
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel
Like you're nothing, you're fucking perfect to me
(You're perfect, you're perfect)
Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Like you're less than fucking perfect.
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel
Like you're nothing, you are perfect to me.


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/pink/fuckinperfect.html
http://www.polyvore.com/pink_singer_image_jennyleigh259_on/thing?id=6717238

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.