Skip to main content

Maybe

"She Wouldn't Be Gone" - Blake Shelton



I've been listening to this a lot. Could mean many things, but it ain't the obvious. Nothing ever is, my dear. I've been living up to this saying that I got from the movie Jurassic Park, "...[They're] so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." This has been my motto, especially professionally. I know, weird right? I have this heartbreaking love song (story of my previous love life) and I threw in a quote from a dinosaur flick and I'm talking about work? Really? Ok, let me explain.

My job is different than most jobs because it's for a company that literally built itself from the ground up and is now the largest of its kind. Though this is a remarkable achievement and one cannot deny that they worked hard to gain such an advantage, it doesn't necessarily mean it's always admirable. One of the downfalls for being so big is forgetting about the small things that started it all: Purpose vs. Promotion, People vs. Numbers, and Heart vs. Pettiness. Teamwork is weakened when those who make the team don't know how to play well with others. Leaders become followers whose retention often caters to favoritism, nepotism, and bullshitism.

They hit the ground running, fly by the seat of their pants, flip coins to see where it lands, push the envelope, break boundaries, and bend rules. They're every cliche in the book and they pride themselves on this "hit or miss" mentality, which scares the shit out of me. Even with knowing that there is an order that makes logical sense, they choose to start from 'Z' and fall backwards. Though some ideas flourish, most fail because they were too busy trying to see if it would hold up from the top that they didn't bother checking what it's actually standing on.

Why can't they see that what they did to get them here has worked for them this whole time? Why can't they invest in a well-thought out plan? The who, what, where, when, how and even the why's that can take something and make it stronger? Why is it so difficult for them to understand that the whole reason they still exist today is from following these simple steps from the past:

1) Purpose
2) People
3) Heart
4) Teamwork
5) Leadership
6) Work from the ground up

Then maybe maybe, ya maybe none of this would be gone.

Lyrics:

Red roadside wild flower if I'd only picked you
Took you home set you on the counter
Oh, at least a time or two
Maybe she'd thought it through

Yellow sunset slowly dipping down in the rear view
Oh, how she'd love to sit and watch you
I could have done that a whole lot more
If I hadn't been so stubborn, been so selfish
Thought about her more, thought about me less
Joked and made her laugh, held her when she cried
A little more that, maybe I...

Wouldn't be driving like hell flying like crazy down the highway
Calling everyone we know stopping any place she might be
Going any place she might go
Beating on the dash
Screaming out her name at the windshield
Tears soaking up my face
If I had loved her this much all along, maybe maybe, ya maybe...
She wouldn't be gone
she wouldn't be gone

She warned me it was coming said if I didn't change
She was leaving
I just didn't believe she would ever really walk out,
God, I believe her now
Called her mamma, cried like a baby to her best friend
If they've seen her, they ain't sayin, they ain't sayin
Now, I'm cursing like a fool, praying it ain't too late
All I wanna do is fix my mistakes

Find her beg her for one more try, until then damn it I'll
Be driving like hell flying like crazy down the highway
Calling everyone we know stopping any place she might be
Going any place she might go
Beating on the dash
Screaming out her name at the windshield
Tears soaking up my face
If I had loved her this much all along, maybe maybe, ya maybe...
She wouldn't be gone

I wouldn't be beating on the dash
Screaming out her name at the windshield tears soaking up my face
If I had loved her this much all along, maybe maybe, ya maybe...
She wouldn't be gone

Red roadside wild flower if I'd only picked you
Took you home set you on the counter, oh at least a time or two
Maybe she'd thought it through...


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/blakeshelton/shewouldntbegone.html
http://www.justout.com/blog_archive/media/blake-shelton-puts-foot-in-mouth-angers-glaad-with-tweet/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.