Skip to main content

A Walk

"Promise Me" - The Cover Girls



I went for a walk this evening. I figured that before I leave this quaint little neighborhood of mine I owe it a proper goodbye. I plugged in my headset and pressed play. I let the music accompany me and reminisced about the things that took place on these very blocks worlds ago. I passed by houses that used to be homes of friends long gone. I remembered playing "paradise" over a short tree with big palm leaves and the bush that smelled of popcorn. I remembered the bullies next door and not being afraid to flick them off. I passed by a home that once belonged to a kind family who made spaghetti sauce with real, big chunks of tomato and the "haunted" house that looked so rundown, but held up even through the toughest storms.

I went around my own block at least twice and was surprised to see that most of the front doors were left open, including our own, revealing only the screen door. With a quick glimpse, I was able to take in a few details within each home: A desk lamp on a skinny table, a recliner near a big screen TV, a white cat resting on a blue sofa, a large potted plant, framed portraits lined up against the wall, and a floor fan attempting to cool the whole house. I went back up the block and took a left down a street that lead to my old elementary school.

The sun was setting and I knew it would only take a short while before it came all the way down, but I didn't rush it. I crossed the street, hopped over a puddle of water on the corner and kicked up a rock or two. The sound of sand rustling under my sneakers took me back as I grazed my fingertips against the metal fence. It was shorter and older than I remember. It didn't seem as strong or overbearing as it did years ago. A lot took place behind it, but looking passed it a lot also changed.

I made my way to the front of the school. The walkway wasn't as pristine and the windows looked opaque and sad. The green double doors seemed as though they shrank over time that it felt like I was staring at a dollhouse than an actual full-sized building.


I wrapped around towards the playground and took snapshots of swings, the very swings I used to sit on and the infamous three bars that I never feared of climbing. It was the first and shortest bar that I befriended because I never fell from it and it never let me down. I gazed at it for a long while and wished I just stayed on it 23 years ago vs. going out on that field with that bat. How the field aged...the green was fading and though the slides were swirlier it didn't change the set-up. I remembered it all and this song came to mind...because it has been so very long since I allowed myself to revisit a place that brought back so much. A few good and several awfully traumatizing moments that almost made me break down into tears as it came rushing to me. But I didn't. I held myself together and let go of the bad. I felt that first bar underneath me, holding me up and finally said my goodbyes.



Lyrics:

It's been so very long
Since you held me in your arms this way
And all this time that you've been gone
I've thought about you each and every day

So now you've returned
And you want to try our love again
But frankly I'm concerned
That you will hurt (Hurt me) like you did then

What you must do
To prove your love is true
Is give me a guarantee
That you'll love me through and through

Promise me
That this time love will stay (Love will stay)
Promise me (Promise me)
That you'll never go away (Never go away)

Promise me
That this time love won't end (Love won't end)
Promise me
That I will never cry again

It's been so very long
Since you held me in your arms so tight
And all this time that you've been gone
I've thought about you each and every night

So now you've returned
And you want to try our love again
But frankly I'm concerned
That you will hurt (Hurt me) like you did then

What you must do
To prove your love is true
Is give me a guarantee
That you'll love me through and through

Promise me
That this time love will stay (Love will stay)
Promise me (Promise me)
That you'll never go away (Never go away)

Promise me
That this time love won't end (Love won't end)
Promise me
That I will never cry again

Will you promise me
Will you promise, promise
Will you promise me
Will you promise, promise

Will you promise me
Will you promise, promise
Will you promise me
Will you promise, promise

Promise me
That this time love will stay (Love will stay)
Promise me (Promise me)
That you'll never go away (Never go away)

Promise me
That this time love won't end


http://www.az-lyrics.us/item/368/368129/Promise_Me_Lyrics.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Cover_Girls_Show_Me.jpeg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.