Skip to main content

Resolution

"Ho Hey" - The Lumineers

I'm not one for rules.  Hell, I even break the ones I create for myself.  Take this blog for example.  I promised to write in it every, single day.  Well, that was easy enough when I was an insomniac in my own space with my own light and my own bed.  It was a no-brainer when my brain was filled with so many things I wanted to say.  It didn't come as a challenge when the only challenge was controlling my thoughts enough to jot it all down.  Then I promised at least once a week, but it's hard when that week is consumed with adjusting to change.  New city, new route, new job, new people, new home...even though this excuse is now getting old.  Regardless, I needed time and lots of it.  So I figured, "Fine so just be lazy and do it once a month."  You'd think I'll have plenty to write by then with so many experiences bursting at the seams, but then I unplugged my computer and temporarily moved it into the kitchen. 

It's been about two months and it's still there.

I occasionally pass it by when I get a glass of water or file a few unnecessary receipts.  I stomped on a few bugs that tried to hibernate near it and pushed it aside to wash a few dirty dishes.  I grazed my fingertips on the dust that's carefully forming over its keys and took one of my old cleansing cloths to wipe the monitor.  Other than that it hasn't been touched. 

Sometimes I think it's making faces at me, shaking its head in disbelief as it utters, "Unbelievable."  At times I sit back to face it in return.  This faithful friend that never turned its back on me.  Its tangled cords without a source leaves it to question my loyalty as I've left it without purpose and power.  A collection of books crowd the smaller desktop it now rests on.  Half-opened boxes of my life lean against it.  It's funny to think that after all this time I can still fit my life in a few boxes.  I think my mouse has gone missing too.  It probably ran way from boredom and crawled into a new hole in the wall.  At least it would be warmer.

I look at my computer and remember when it used to never get a full night's sleep.  It was always there to console me, inspire me and keep me company when everyone else was dreaming.  If it was freezing, I'd have the heater on near my feet, wrapped up in fuzzy socks and armed with a big ceramic mug filled with hot tea.  If it was scorching hot, I'd have my hair trapped up in a claw clip and a tall glass of ice cold water with the moisture against the back of my neck.  No matter what the temperature, my computer didn't mind as long as I took the time to spend with it.

But now it's stuck in that cold, uninsulated room where it doesn't belong and I feel guilty just thinking about it as I attempt to use this tiny little laptop in its place.  It does what it needs to do, but it's just not the same.  It's like being at the right place at the right moment, but with the wrong person.  It's like having a craving for a certain something, but satisfying it when you no longer crave it.  It's like being in the middle of nowhere and not really having much to do when you finally come to realize what is most important to you and never being able to tell it.

I don't want to create any more rules.  I don't want to set any more timeframes.  I just want to give myself that space again where me and my computer feel at home.  Because it belongs to me.  This is my mission when I return.  This is my New Year's resolution and not only am I going to do it, I'm going to write it too.    

Lyrics:

(Ho!) (Hey!) (Ho!) (Hey!)

(Ho!) I've been trying to do it right
(Hey!) I've been living a lonely life
(Ho!) I've been sleeping here instead
(Hey!) I've been sleeping in my bed,
(Ho!) sleeping in my bed
(Hey!)

(Ho!)

(Ho!) So show me family
(Hey!) All the blood that I would bleed
(Ho!) I don't know where I belong
(Hey!) I don't know where I went wrong
(Ho!) But I can write a song
(Hey!)

1, 2, 3
I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweetheart
I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweet
(Ho!)

(Hey!) (Ho!) (Hey!)

(Ho!) I don't think you're right for him
(Hey!) Look at what it might have been if you
(Ho!) Took a bus to China Town
(Hey!) I'd be standing on Canal
(Ho!) And Bowery
(Hey!)
(Ho!) And she'd be standing next to me
(Hey!)

1, 2, 3
I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweetheart
I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweetheart

Love ‒ we need it now
Let's hope for some
So, we're bleeding out

I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweetheart
I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweet
(Ho!)

(Hey!) (Ho!) (Hey!)

 
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/lumineers/hohey.html
image taken from Google.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.