Skip to main content

Self-Doubt

"It's Time" - Imagine Dragons
 

God grant me the serenity...  that is if I believed that there is only one being up there beyond the clouds that really does have such power.  And if so, who is it?  Who gets it?  Because at dire times it's hard for me to see it.  Is it wrong for me to question what to believe especially when I look around me and wonder why things are the way they have to be? 

An illness that comes out of nowhere reminds me of just how mortal we all are.  An addiction that spans longer than a day shows me that even a want for something can be confused with a need.  And stress in it of itself proves to me that an illness and addiction can come from a single source.

It's been an up and down Sunday to say the least.  I'm bashing down on these keys as a band I recently discovered (Imagine Dragons) and an album that I'm in love with (Continued Silence EP), blasts through my ears as loud as I want to scream!  Though their melody is soothing enough for me to follow my thoughts carefully, it's still helping me get lost along the way.  I want to stray.  Just to get far from here.  Anywhere, but here.

When I say here, I mean a memory within me that is tangling my sense of security into a mangled mess.  It happens like clockwork at the moment when nothing seems wrong until that old familiar wrench throws itself into the mix.  It happens when I've grown used to the way things were and have fallen hopelessly trapped into what I feared would happen in the beginning:  Self-doubt. 

It happens when I least expect it to happen and then it just won't leave well enough alone.   Since I've surrendered to it, I am given no other choice but to allow it to take over.  With this control, I prioritize it over me.  I cater to it; latching onto its leg like a horny puppy.  Letting it watch and question every move I make if I attempt to let go.

It's no one's fault, but my own.  And yet as I approach this rocky road, knowing full well that I'm responsible for most of the rocks, I tread on it as if it's going to lead me somewhere else, but here.  As if by some miracle, this constant circle will push me into a new direction.  It hurts to walk, but I know that if I start crawling the jagged pieces of broken earth will embed itself into my skin.  Yet unlike the fingernails against my hand, I won't wake up.  I'll just be here.  Still.

Why do I choose this path?  Or does it choose me?  Maybe in my mind this is supposed to be my destination.  Never satisfied and always stumbling over the chaos I laid out before me.  Depending on it to lead me and not trusting myself enough to know that if I leave it behind, it will allow me to walk passed it.

Lyrics:

So this is what you meant
When you said that you were spent
And now it's time to build from the bottom of the pit
Right to the top
Don't hold back
Packing my bags and giving the academy a rain check

I don't ever wanna let you down
I don't ever wanna leave this town
Cuz after all
This city never sleeps at night

It's time to begin, isn't it?
I get a little bit bigger, but then I'll admit
I'm just the same as I was
Now don't you understand
That I'm never changing who I am

So this is where you fell
And I am left to sail
The path to heaven runs through miles of clouded hell
Right to the top
Don't look back
Turning the rags and giving the commodities a rain check

I don't ever wanna let you down
I don't ever wanna leave this town
Cuz after all
This city never sleeps at night

It's time to begin, isn't it?
I get a little bit bigger but then I'll admit
I'm just the same as I was
Now don't you understand
That I'm never changing who I am

It's time to begin, isn't it?
I get a little bit bigger, but then I'll admit
I'm just the same as I was
Now don't you understand
That I'm never changing who I am

This road never looked so lonely
This house doesn't burn down slowly
To ashes, to ashes

It's time to begin, isn't it?
I get a little bit bigger, but then I'll admit
I'm just the same as I was
Now don't you understand
That I'm never changing who I am

It's time to begin, isn't it?
I get a little bit bigger, but then I'll admit
I'm just the same as I was
Now don't you understand
That I'm never changing who I am


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/imaginedragons/itstime.html
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/imagine-dragons?before=1345396420

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.