Skip to main content

Grip

"I'll Be There" - The Escape Club

It was after midnight on Friday the 13th.  The TV was the only thing that lit the room.  Lately, it's been warm; too warm for this place, but I still kept both layers of blankets on.  I had two pillows on each side of me, something I haven't been able to do on this bed in 6 months.  I don't mind not being able to do it.  I was tired, but my mind was awake.  So although my eyes were heavy, they remained half-opened watching fluorescent images jump from the screen to the ceiling, to the walls and against the beige blinds over the large window. The shadows were distracting and I knew they would keep me occupied from worrying.  I left the sound on low.  I didn't want to mute it completely.  I figured the muffled noise would be the best company as I attempt to dream.  It would be a broken sleep, but sleep nonetheless.

3:34A.

It was still dark out.  The TV was still on.   Dancing shadows and murmurs filled the room, but they didn't scare me.  My eyes adjusted as I stirred up on my feet to my phone.  Did I hear a beep?  Is that why I woke up?  I pressed the bottom button and the glow of the mini screen stung my eyes.  I saw the time, but no messages.

I clambered back to bed and tucked the excess material from my over-sized pant legs over my cold feet.  I was too lazy to get my fuzzy socks.  It was then that I noticed the room was pretty cold.  Funny, since it was so warm just a couple of hours before...

4:26A.

I woke up again.  This time I'm irritated and didn't check my phone.  TV, on.  Dark, out.  Same scene, but I knew it was later in the night and earlier in the morning and suddenly, I missed the sun. 

5:45A.

A blue hue is coming in through the blinds.  I'm relieved for the light.  I had to pee, but I ignored it.  I felt a bit fuzzy, but not like my socks.  I still wanted my socks, but if I didn't listen to my body wanting to pee, I refused to listen to my feet wanting my socks. 

I'm beyond exhausted at this point and fell back asleep quickly.

Dream.

It was October.  This year.  We were all in the room, but the bed was bigger.  The TV was off and there were no dancing shadows.  It got really quiet all of a sudden as we noticed subtle hints of numbers after 40 appear.  I couldn't make everything out, but I caught onto 45. 46. 47... 

Then a billow of white smoke; almost a fog filled the center of the room.  It didn't take shape, but it moved around as if it were alive.  One of the guys jumped right in the middle of it and hugged it as tightly as he could, but how could you hug air?  We stood there watching him.

Time passed.  Everyone was dressed in their pajamas and got ready for bed.  After that moment, none of us wanted to go anywhere alone.  We weren't afraid of what just happened.  We just didn't want to provoke it again and be alone in the process.

We had leftover food we ate for dinner above the dresser drawer.  I was shocked because I never allow anyone to eat in the room and all I kept thinking about was none of us brushed our teeth or washed our faces! 

It was pitch black.  We said our "goodnight's" in the dark.  I was at the far right of the room next to the window.  This had always been my side of the bed.  I felt a sharp, cold breeze next to me and pulled the comforter up to my chin. 

Then suddenly, something squeezed my right hand very tightly.  It felt like a man's hand, but I couldn't see.  I started to jolt.  The others were shaken awake.  Someone turned on the light, but not all the way on.  They pulled the comforter off of me, but saw no hand.  Only the tight grip that resembled a strong handshake. 

I started to call out his name.  I said it once, twice, three times... and each time I said it, I said it louder.  All they could do was look at me as my hand  turned white.  The strong, hard presses of long fingers against my skin belonged to no one.  Then the fog appeared yet again.  I shut my eyes as tight as the grip I felt. 

Was he mad at me?  Scolding me?  Or was it hard for him to let go?  Or was he telling me to hang on?  Then I was freed.  My eyes sprung open.

6:55A.

Still in bed.  The TV is on.  Am I awake?  I'm not sure.  I sink my nails into my skin, relieved as I felt the instant pinch.  I rub my right hand gently bringing the blood back to my veins.

7:00A.

My first alarm goes off, but I'm already awake. 

I start to reflect:

The first night I'm alone in this room.  The night before Friday the 13th although it is now the 13th.  I asked never to be visited unless absolutely necessary and to please do so in my dream.  And you did.  Didn't you?

The grip felt like you were frustrated with me; like you were shaking me... wanting to tell me something, but you had no words so you expressed it with pressure.  With everything that's gone on and everything I've shared especially with others, I don't blame you.  But do you blame me?  Were you trying to scare me?  Warn me?  Or simply tell me to stop?  Don't answer that. 

You know I'm not lying with what I've said.  You know my frustrations are relevant and clear.  But it doesn't make any of it right.  It doesn't make me all right and for that I'm sorry.  I really am and I can't explain to you how crazy awful this year has been.  I don't know why you were taken away.  I question it every single day. 

Am I able to maintain my purpose now that you're gone?

I didn't forget.  I know now that neither did you.  I made a sincere promise to you by your bed side in that hospital that eerie, sad night some months ago.  I said to you that I would stand by your brother, your parents and your wife.  I wasn't lying then.  I'm not lying now, but maybe you are angry with me because it seems like I'm only standing by just the one.  It's been harder than I thought.  A lot harder once other things came up to the surface.  Relevant things. 

But thank you for the wake up call, brother. 

I felt you and I just wanted you to know that I will try to hold onto my promise as tightly as you held onto me.


Lyrics:

Over mountains
Over trees
Over oceans
Over seas
Across the desert
I'll be there
In a whisper on the wind
On the smile of a new friend
Just think of me
And I'll be there
Don't be afraid, oh my love
I'll be watching you from above
And I'd give all the world tonight
To be with you
Because I'm on your side
And I still care
I may have died
But I've gone nowhere
Just think of me
And I'll be there
On the edge of a waking dream
Over rivers
Over streams
Through wind and rain
I'll be there
Across the wide and open sky
Thousands of miles I'd fly
To be with you
I'll be there
Don't be afraid, oh my love
I'll be watching you from above
Then I give all the world tonight
To be with you
Because I'm on your side
And I still care
I may have died
But I've gone nowhere
Just think of me
And I'll be there
Just think of me
And I'll be there
In the breath of a wind that sighs
Oh, there's no need to cry
Just think of me
And I'll be there
Don't be afraid, oh my love
I'll be watching you from above
And I'd give all the world tonight
To be with you
Because I'm on your side
And I still care
I may have died
But I've gone nowhere
Just think of me
I'll be there
Just think of me
And I'll be there
Just think of me
I'll be there

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken

"Paradise" - Coldplay It took a while for this song to affect me, but I guess a windy drive home through an obstacle course of devastating proportions and the sudden panic of having a "State of Emergency" warning flash within my quiet hometown can change things. A lot. I didn't sleep a single minute last night. Although this isn't anything new, it's new to me to want to sleep and not get it. It was unbelievably frightening to be alone in my room with the nite-lite busted and the wind at full speed...even worse when half the roof over my head flew to the ground with a thunderous thud bringing the rest of the sleepless city to its feet. We've seen the Santa Ana winds, but never at this magnitude. It moved cars and busted windows. It rattled fences and ripped gates apart. It knocked over trashcans and picked up patio furniture like it weighed nothing. In the morning when the dust settled just enough for the hazy sun to bring some light to the mayhem, w

Soul Mates

"Once Upon A Dream" - Sleeping Beauty How funny it is that even after all these years and how far we've come with animation, this classic Disney cartoon still grabs me. Yes, I know it's silly, but it's a silly I grew up with and can't help but fall for... I know the story is so far fetched: a 16 year old girl (that looks more like a 21 year old) with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that would shame the red, red rose sings high up in the mountain tops and suddenly attracts the man of her dreams; her soul mate! (who by golly is the prince that she has been betrothed to since she was a baby!). Unbelievable. So it's all fairytale crap, but so what? I'm not into it because of the romance! To tell you the truth, I don't even like Aurora all that much, the spoiled lil' brat. I mean, she's beautiful in EVERY way, finds out she's a princess and is going to marry into royalty on top of her royalty! I can't really sympathize... Seriousl

Welcome to People

Songs TBA Last night, I saw a special, private screening courtesy of the Screening Exchange called, "Welcome to People" directed by Alex Kurtzman. I loved it and it wasn't something that I thought I'd love. In fact, I almost changed my mind at the last minute when I saw that familiar long line down the steps at Arclight Paseo. I figured, "Hell it's just another movie." But I'm so glad I didn't turn around. I'm glad I stood in the back of the line, got my hand stamped and cell phone taken away for nearly 3-hours in order to be in a room filled with strangers. I just wish I had something with me to write down the great songs I heard that disappeared by the time I logged onto this blog. It makes me appreciate technology...so check it out when it comes out. I'll make sure I have my cell phone handy the next time I see it so I can grab some songs along the way. Oh, I'm Hannah, not Frankie and let me know what you think.